new developer learning

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
apollonia

new developer learning

Post by apollonia » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 pm

jordan, i see this warning on the page showing me how to SVN the latest versions:
Warning!! Code downloaded using methods listed on this page is NOT suitable for use in a live setting. A database using such code will be unable to upgrade later to a newer version. Specifically, any database version with a "0" build will NEVER be able to be upgraded to any newer version.
i'm not entirely sure what that means, and so to avoid confusion, i want to describe my current efforts.

i'm using a COPY of my live data to allow realistic data simulation. it is not being used in a live environment, and i was able to compile correctly.

my question regards future revisions, will this be a problem to continue using (and upgrading) the same old data?

doesn't make sense to wash away all data with each version update, so maybe i've got it wrong.

am otherwise enjoying learning C#

drtech

Re: new developer learning

Post by drtech » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:07 am

the database in the live setting should only be upgraded with the final beta version, never the head version. When you are developing, yes you make a new copy (I usually just the the small trial version database so it is quick and easy to copy with SQLyog) pretty much every time there is a change in the database in the alpha or developmental head.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:12 pm

If you are compiling the "head", then it will be changing constantly. You will only be able to use it with a "0" version database. You may find that it suddenly stops working due to changes in the structure of various tables. Keep an eye on OpenDentBusiness\Misc\ConvertDatabases2. You can manually run queries as we add them in order to keep your database up to the current schema. But sometimes, you will have to erase your "0" database and start with a fresh ordinary database. It will immediately be converted to a "0" database and will never again be able to be used in a production environment. As long as you are working with copies, of course, this is no big deal. Once we release a version such as yesterday when we released 6.9.1, the "0" becomes a "1". Yesterday, I deleted the 6.9.0 database that I had been using for testing for the last month, and used a copy of a production database which was immediately converted to a 6.9.1 database.

If you are not compiling the head and are instead compiling a specific version, then none of the above applies.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

apollonia

Post by apollonia » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:59 am

thank you.