Billing charge feature

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
richardwaite

Billing charge feature

Post by richardwaite » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:19 am

I've completed implementation of a billing charge feature for OD. Changes include:
  • * Generalization of the "Finance Charges" form to allow choice between either finance or billing charges
  • * Refactoring of the adjustment creation logic to support both adjustment types
  • * Refactoring the undo logic to support both adjustment types (see below)
  • * Added control the the Setup | Modules form to allow selection of the billing charge adj type
  • * Addition of four new rows in the preference field to support billing charges
  • * New AdjType in the definition table for billing charges
  • * Various other small tweaks, form control renames, etc. to reference the added functionality.
Two questions I have after completing the code:

Why did (and still does, I left it there) the finance charge form open another aging form after running the finance charges (it does the same thing after undoing the finance charges for the last run date)?

And while modifying the undo code, I noticed that the UndoFinanceCharges method indiscriminantly deleted all adjustments on the last run date, and did not filter the adjustments according to the finance charge adjustment type. I saw this as a bug and reworked the code accordingly. If this was an intentional design decision please let me know.

The patch for the head/6.1 branch can be downloaded from here:

http://www.dentalit.com/patches/billingchargehead.patch

Let me know what you think :)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Billing charge feature

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:36 am

Having not looked at the code yet, I can answer the question about the aging. You've added charges to a large number of accounts. So now the aging is wrong for all those accounts. You have to run aging again to fix it. I've got a very good idea how to make aging faster, and that's a planned improvement. But it does need to be done.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

richardwaite

Re: Billing charge feature

Post by richardwaite » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 am

That makes sense. My main concern was because of the speed, good to hear that's going to get better.

mowgli

Re: Billing charge feature vs. lending institutions

Post by mowgli » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:34 am

In some states, in order to use finance charges which are a percentage of a balance, rules and regulations for lending institutions must be followed, such as disclosure forms, etc. The flat billing charge gets around these legal complications, so it would really be a nice alternative for dental practices. Right now a billing charge has to be applied manually while reading the aging report.