Upgrade Problems with 5.8.5

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
opensource

Upgrade Problems with 5.8.5

Post by opensource » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Hello Team,

I am trying to upgrade from 5.6.25 to 5.8.5 in a debug mode and having the following problem..

The process seems to try to alter the 'preference' table and trying to create a 'comments' column which are of type 'text/blob' with a default value of ' '. the system is having trouble creating a default value for a text/blob type.

...Should the database be allowing creation of the 'default' for a 'text/blob' data type. Do I need to make any changes to my database configuration or is this a bug in the 'upgrade script' ?

BTW, I have notice such similar issues many a times during my previous upgrades...I cheat by making the necessary changes through a database GUI and get around these kind of issues but this time around, I do not think even that is an option.

Thoughts / Ideas / Suggestion..what am I doing wrong ?

Cheers,

OpenSource

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Problems with 5.8.5

Post by jordansparks » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:55 pm

That's a perfectly valid command on my computer. I think it's your server variables. Look in
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\my.ini
Does it look similar to this?:

[mysqld]
basedir="C:/Program Files/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.0/"
datadir="C:/mysql/Data/"
skip-innodb

That's how we ship it. so if you have extra stuff, then it means you did your own install of MySQL separately, or else you accidentally did a separate config step. Get rid of your extra server variables, and restart MySQL.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

opensource

Re: Upgrade Problems with 5.8.5

Post by opensource » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Thank you sir. Worked like a charm. My Test Server was installed using the Mysql Installer (from mysql.com) and yes, it does have some other database/applications but atleast now I know why I have the problem..so, will work around it.

Cheers,

OpenSource