Help with first build.

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
RBiggs

Help with first build.

Post by RBiggs » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:34 am

I'm just getting started with C# and OpenDental. I wrote my office software 20 years ago using DOS and a client server DBMS called Emerald Bay written by Wayne Ratliff and Bob Byers (they wrote DBase). It's never crashed, very manageable codebase, small, fast and does everything we need. However it's decidedly outdated and I want to take advantage of newer technology. I'm looking forward to learning this program and contributing, however I'm having trouble building the source. I've downloaded the trial OD version, installed and run it. Got the OD 4.6 source using SVN. I've attempted to build with MS C# Express and get errors, "The type or namespace 'RDL' does not exist in the namespace 'fyiReporting' (are you missing and assembly reference?)" Other missing types are RDLViewer, Report, ZoomEnum, StyleInfo, etc. All are part of project ReportDesigner. I think it will be a missing file, however I have gone over the web instructions on the OD site for build errors and searched the forum here. I have recopied the required DLL's into the requiredDLL's folder to no avail. Any thoughts regarding this issue would be appreciated.

Robert

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Help with first build.

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:57 am

Why such an old version? Did you mean 5.6?

Anyway, did you set Open Dental to be the startup project? It's bold and the other projects in the solution are not, right?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

RBiggs

Re: Help with first build.

Post by RBiggs » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Jordan. You got it!!! I followed the directions on the download source page to the letter and used the SVN program to download version 4.6. When I read it I assumed I would change the numbers as the versions changed but that didn't sink in. I just downloaded version 5.6 and built it successfully. I did get 12 warnings, mostly relating to memory variables that weren't used in the program. Now for the real fun of learning C# and OD.

Thanks again.

Robert