using opensuse 10.3 server

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
ugach

using opensuse 10.3 server

Post by ugach » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Hello All,

Using opendent for a month on single xp home pc for now. Had some teething (oops, wrong word to use on this forum :wink: )problems, then found some bugs with conversion but overall everybody including the dentist is happy with what we got now.

It is time to go multi-user. I have open-suse 10.3 server raid mirroring, mysql ... up and running. I plan to follow instructions on following site http://wiki.gacq.com/index.php/Open_Dental to copy data from windows xp home machine to Linux server.

I will be leaving database security to mysql (not sharing folder on samba) creating individual user/passwd for each user.

I have already tried above mentioned procedure with trial version and it seemed to work for one xp home and one linux user, but not sure about anything else I need to do. This time it is production data. I want to be really sure. Any pointers? Any gotchas?

BTW I have created a common area under /home/common/open-dent and using samba to share a-z folders but had problems to make open-dent go and look over there for each user. for e.g. if I use Z: drive for one user and Y: Drive for another user, open-dent seems to have problems. I also plan to have one or two opensuse clients. I could not find information on creating persistent share on opensuse server and how to plug that information in open-dent (syntax?)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: using opensuse 10.3 server

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:34 pm

It is easier to just copy the database files to the Linux computer than it is to go through the backup/restore sequence listed on that page.

As for the Z: drive versus Y: drive problem, it's easier to use the computer name, like this: \\server\OpenDentImages\
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com