Open Dental hosted in cloud - middle tier or VPN

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
asceticwonder

Open Dental hosted in cloud - middle tier or VPN

Post by asceticwonder » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:36 pm

Hello everyone, hope everyone is well.

Right now I am hosting Open Dental on Amazon. To tighten the ship, I limit incoming requests to the ports and protocols required for Middle Tier from my WAN IP address.

I'm a dentist and not an IT guy, so my method of scripting DDNS-derived ip addresses into Amazon's firewall is patchy, and I am looking for a better solution because I've switched internet providers and frequent WAN IP changes is becoming a PIA.

I don't want to pay Amazon for their VPN tunnels and was wondering if someone has any experience hosting inexpensive instances for the sole purpose of running a VPN gateway. From my basic interweb research, it seems like an inexpensive OpenVPN image is available on Amazon's marketplace, and I have NASes in my office that can run OpenVPN clients.

Since I'm a dentist and not an network admin, can anyone help me design an alternative to my current setup so I can abandon my patchwork middle-tier setup? I don't know anything about routing tables or the such. Something like this: LAN Open Dental client tries to connect to myOD.com -> NAS -> Amazon OpenVPN gateway -> Amazon Open Dental server. (Or IPSec equivalent, or whatever, I don't mind if the Windows Server thats actually hosting Open Dental doubles as the VPN server.) Or if someone has a link to a good tutorial about this type of setup...

Thanks!!!!

SriramChellappan

Re: Open Dental hosted in cloud - middle tier or VPN

Post by SriramChellappan » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:53 pm

Any help hosting the middle tier in the cloud?

laitkor

Re: Open Dental hosted in cloud - middle tier or VPN

Post by laitkor » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:39 am

use a cheap lightsail instance and setup OpenVPN