After selecting the database, the application would crash, offer to debug, but still there wasn't any good info. This was all I had to go on:
Unhandled exception at 0x776C7073 (ntdll.dll) in OpenDental.exe: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted (parameters: 0x77703960).
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for ntdll.dll]
I ended up installing Visual Studio on the server, downloading and configuring the build environment and stepping through the application line by line till it failed. Sounds worse that it was, took maybe 10-15 minutes after the initial Visual Studio install.
Anyway, what I found was that it failed at this line:
Code: Select all
ControlChart.cs 4650: toothChartWrapper.DrawMode=ComputerPrefs.LocalComputer.GraphicsSimple;
For what it is worth, I assume it had something to do with a recent .NET security update, or other Windows update, and so I had originally started uninstalling the updates that had been installed at the time it stopped working. Some updates weren't able to be uninstalled, so I had to go through debugging it through source code.
From what I understand, they had worked with tech support for around 2-3 hours, but once the development environment was setup, it wasn't too hard to figure out what was going on. Might be worth creating a small console application that automates setting up the development environment, or think about a portable dev environment.