HL7 between OD instances

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Ardavan

HL7 between OD instances

Post by Ardavan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Hello,

I have never used OD's HL7 functionality but reading the docs I see an opportunity to use it in lieu of merging databases.

Theoretically it seems like it would be possible to keep patient charts synchronized between multiple OD instances utilizing the HL7 functionality if the instances can communicate securely.

As far as you know has this ever been done and how feasible would it be? I'm imagining instead of setting up HL7 between ECW and OD I just set it up between OD and OD.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ardy
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

cmcgehee

Re: HL7 between OD instances

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 pm

I have not heard of anyone using HL7 to sync OD databases, but I like the creativity in the idea. This setup would be very limited; it would only automatically send appointments and patient information. It could send procedures, but you have to manually click a button the in the Chart module to do this.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Ardavan

Re: HL7 between OD instances

Post by Ardavan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:45 am

Thanks Chris, as always you're quick to reply with meaningful feedback!
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer