Server Hardware recommendations

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
krrrrazyk

Server Hardware recommendations

Post by krrrrazyk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi All. I want to put together a custom server for Open Dental with 3 or 4 workstations. As there are so many options out there to choose from, I'm wondering what people have found that works well and is adequate to run the software without issues. I know you can spend alot of money on a server and have all kinds of power, but I really just need something that will do the job smoothly with some headroom just in case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

irfan

Re: Server Hardware recommendations

Post by irfan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:21 pm

3 or 4 workstations, just use a 5th workstation, it wont use many resources. in your case the best advantage to a server is server-grade reliability. that typically is worth it. if you go that route just get a basic dell entry level server, T3xx or even T1xx series stripped down will be sufficient with RAID1 and a good backup system.

dgraffeo

Re: Server Hardware recommendations

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 am

Agreed. For smaller offices, another workstation works just fine. Just make sure people know it's the server and that they probably shouldn't shut it off in the middle of the day :D
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com