Help migrating away from gotomypc to network environment

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
jnewsom23

Help migrating away from gotomypc to network environment

Post by jnewsom23 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello,

My boss' practice has grown from 2 users to 4 users now. This means she has outgrown her "gotomypc" setup and swapping Open Dental sessions with another person. I need to come up with a solution that allows 2 doctors & 2 med billers to be able to simultaneously, remotely connect to Open Dental from a central computer. In order to preserve greatness and build the cheapest, most efficient setup I am looking for any others who have successfully helped migrate from a small 2 person setup to 4 or more users.

http://www.opendental.com/manual/multiplelocations.html I have read.

I need a central database shared by all locations (4 different instances).

TIA and I appreciate any mind share.

Jerry

jnewsom23

Re: Help migrating away from gotomypc to network environment

Post by jnewsom23 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:07 pm

I didn't consider this...

Is there a comparable software to "gotomypc" that allows for multiple users to simultaneously a central computer?

If so, what has your experience been from the users? It would probably be a win if I could forego VPN route and use a service similar to "gotomypc" instead.

Thanks again,

Jerry

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm

I always suggest the Middle Tier to customers who need to connect to the same database from an unknown number of locations.
http://www.opendental.com/manual/middletier.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

rajg

Post by rajg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:43 pm

jnewsom23 wrote: It would probably be a win if I could forego VPN route and use a service similar to "gotomypc" instead
Jerry, Is there any specific reason that you are avoiding VPN? some Asus routers come with built-in openvpn servers and clients. You can also convert existing compatible router in to openwrt openvpn setup. If you have windows server, you can try RDP. I have tested one client on Win 10 pro. with RDP on a VPN in the past.

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't know if this is Jerry's reason, but connecting to your Open Dental database via a VPN is the slowest way to setup Open Dental. The reason for this is that most user actions within Open Dental make many database calls, so you will get slowed down many times by your latency. We solve this with Middle Tier by only making one trip (usually) from the client to the server.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

drawab

Post by drawab » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:52 am

Jerry

I went through approximately the same scenario expanded, from one practice to TWO practices wanting to share the same database with multiple users at each location - (you can extrapolate that to many more locations and maybe in your case 4+ locations if need be) I tip toed through the various options from Remote Desktop was slow due to Lag (in Pakistan) to trying other options like hosting a server on Amazon / Google etc all issues had lag - and when you are used to near instant response <1ms in a LAN network even the slightest lag is irritating. I also tested Multi Teir and even CEMT - sadly nothing clicked except Daisy Chain Replication

Replication needs to be done with Tender Loving Care - and definitely not for the faint hearted hence it must come with all the warnings - that during replication errors can occur database corruption can happen - I gently tiptoed into this realm but its been 2 years and I swear it is the perfect solution and would not trade for anything else. I have a local copy of the database at each location providing <1ms response time, and the database continues to work even my ISP conks out for hours / days and when the ISP resumes, the syncing resumes literally takes 1-2 minutes to catch-up and we are thence forth fully in sync across our practices

the instructions on OD are the only ones I have followed (im not a super geek) - but a few pointers
  • Download and Use the MySQL WorkBench software (free) to use to pass MySQL Queries that OD requests on their setting up replication instructions page (as I hate command prompts)

Set strong passwords for the MySQL database & OpenDental Logins

Use a VPN across the various locations connecting the servers that are hosting Open Dental, because replication process transmits the query (including the password) in an open plain text format and channel

Please also keep in mind that (in my case it was a two locations replication) multi way daisy chain (was in my scenario) actually one way replication for each location, first location acts like a Master to send data to the other location is a slave to receive for example
    - Location 1 is a master and Location 2 is a slave
    - likewise a similar opposite query also needs to be setup making
    - Location 2 is a master and Location 1 is then a slave
    - this keeps each database appraised of the changes made to it and the remote location
    (this was the logic mystery which a n00b like me took a few hours/days to solve :) - so i thought it was important to mention in my own short tutorial)

I use Synchting.net to copy my OpenDentImages folder across the multiple locations - its almost instantaneous / secure and as live as it can possibly get
I then also have a short document to guide my staff if im not available to salvage the recovery - im sharing with you all
Open Dental Replication Recovery Procedure by Dr Awab Alvi

But as mommy did always remind us to BRUSH BRUSH BRUSH - please let this wannabe geek dentist reiterate BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Hope you have safe travels :)

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

AnyDesk allows remote connection of multiple users at the same time if that is what you are after.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com