Alternative to Crashplan - PC to PC backup over the Internet

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Mifa

Alternative to Crashplan - PC to PC backup over the Internet

Post by Mifa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am

Hi Team, I need help.

For the past 2½ years, we've been using Crashplan to backup our encrypted OD and XDR data over the internet to remote machines we own, and it's been working like a charm!

Apparently, it seems that Crashplan will stop supporting computer-to-computer backup in the next few months. Does anyone has a suitable alternative to suggest? I have seen Acronis, BuddyBackup, Duplicati mentioned in various forums for PC-to-PC backup: does anyone have any input on how good they are?

Just to clarify, I'm not even remotely interested in backing up our data to the Cloud.

Thanks!

drawab

Re: Alternative to Crashplan - PC to PC backup over the Inte

Post by drawab » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 pm

I've been using SYNCTHING [https://syncthing.net/] for past two years

Its in my opinion perfect for live Sync between two or even more computers - I copy the Open Dental Images folder across the two practices - so almost every 30 seconds it watches for changes and sends it across - I take it one step further - I copy the folder to a computer at home (and another on Cloud) which serves as my backup - hence four computers in sync

I also backup my Carestream imaging folder (3D CTBT) across the four location

Jay

Re: Alternative to Crashplan - PC to PC backup over the Inte

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

The best syncing software in my opinion is BVCKUP2 (http://www.bvckup2.com). I suppose technically it is a sync software not backup (no versioning) but it gets the job done really well. It can handle network shares so PC to PC without mapped drives is feasible. Also it runs as a service so no one can shut down the program and stop backups. A professional (commercial use) license is $39.95 per PC and volume discounts are available.