Bloat-free backup folders and files?

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
drfredc

Bloat-free backup folders and files?

Post by drfredc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Is there a list of the bloat free folders and files that must be part of the OD backup/restore process?

Sure, memory is cheap, but when the staff is running a sync encrypt process at the end of the day, all this bloat takes additional staff time for the software to scan thru and then backup as required. After a year or two of staff time wasted to check that bloat doesn't have to be synced, the time (and cost) starts to add up. Sure, the staff can do something else while the real syncing is going on, but there's plenty of occasions when the staff is just waiting for this syncing process to complete... Time I'm paying for...

Somehow, my OD files have ended up with files and folders that don't need to be part of OD -- bloat. Some I may have added or duplicated for some stupid reason, some might have been added by support trying to save my sorry ass from some screwup.

Here's what I've got --

mysql/OpenDental -- this folder appears to be a folder with a copy of the A-Z folders of C:/OpenDentImages... Not sure how it got here, probably something I did. Can it be removed?

mysql/data/mysql -- all these files seem to be dated 2011 as if it's some sort of setup folder for a new OD server installation or some support effort... Can it be moved to a new folder the Program Files (x86)/Open Dental/Archives/mysql. Or just deleted?

mysql/data/OpenDental -- these appear to be the mysql files that OD uses... Some are new, some may never have been changed... Presumably, this is NOT Bloat?

mysql/<files>.<xxx> there's about 15 <files> with .CSM, .frm, .MYD and .MYI suffixes. Bloat? not Bloat? Can be archived somewhere else?

OpenDentalExports -- not Bloat. Apparently I don't export much as there's only a few files here relating to end of tax year stuff.

OpenDentImages/ A-Z folders - Lots of stuff here, presumably most is not Bloat.

OpenDentImages/SetupFiles/ Do I really need to keep setup files back to version 7? Can I delete or move the older files to Program Files (x86)/Open Dental/Archives/Setupfiles?

Yeah, a lot of this is a mess probably mostly of my own making... Hoping to clean it up... Why now? Well, last week, the bookkeeper's workstation hard drive died and I had do a clean install of w10 on a new HDD and then download and reinstall QBs and then restore the QB account files from BU. Seems a good time to double check on this for the OpenDental stuff...

FYI, not that anyone asked but the W10 reinstall from a burned DVD iso worked really well. The w10 install process goes online and figures out that this computer (with a new HDD) previously had W10 so it can reinstall it without me having to do anything more...

dgraffeo

Re: Bloat-free backup folders and files?

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:35 am

I recommend calling in to get support assistance with cleaning up files. Our support can verify what files are in use and which aren't.

That being said, from the descriptions you've given, this is what my impression is:
mysql/OpenDental - It seems like it would be safe to move or delete as long as that's not your ACTUAL AtoZ images directory (You can check by going to Setup -> Data Paths. In this window it will tell you the path to the AtoZ folder that OD is using).

mysql/data/mysql - They are dated from 2011, but these files are important for the database to run correctly. Don't remove.

mysql/data/OpenDental - Not bloat, you are correct that's your database right there.

mysql/<files>.<xxx> - I think these may be bloat. I'm not certain, but the mysql folders I've seen don't have files in them other than the "data" folder. It may be worth it to move them, restart the mysql service, and see if something breaks because of it.

OpenDentalExports - Place for exporting tables, and it is optional.

OpenDentImages/SetupFiles - No, you don't really need to keep setup files back to version 7.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:24 am

How much memory are we talking here?
With the exception of the OpenDentImages folder, these files are not large at all, correct?

I second David's suggestion to give us a call. It's important you know exactly which files are in use, and which ones are redundant. Don't go removing things without making a complete backup of everything first. I'd hate to see you inadvertently erase your data (I've seen it too many times in the past). Sometimes it is worth leaving some redundant data on your system, as a fail safe if another backup fails, etc. The key is to have a disaster recovery plan in place, and to practice the backing up and restoration of your data so you know what you need, what you have and how to set everything back up again if disaster hits.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

drfredc

Post by drfredc » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes, generally the files in most folders aren't big in size or numbers. However, the crypting syncing software has to read all the files to be backed up to make sure there's no changes. After a couple hundred scans of folders with files with no changes, the scanning time (aka staff time) starts to add up.

When I ran into some (perhaps self created) bloat, I was hoping there was something somewhere that mentioned the backup folders and files to save and couldn't find one. I figured, yes, a call to support could fix this, but then there wouldn't be a simple online resource for the next slub facing this issue.

So basically, if I'm getting it right..

mysql/data/mysql, mysql/data/OpenDental, OpenDentalExport and OpenDentImages are all keepers. And maybe a few files in mysql data... Setup, fine to delete or move to archives in ODs program folder...

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:04 pm

I like the idea of moving the bloat for now. Just to be sure.

I'm assuming you've got your backup strategy nailed down.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer