Automated Appointment Reminders Not working in Version 16.2

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
drmkpillai

Automated Appointment Reminders Not working in Version 16.2

Post by drmkpillai » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:01 am

Hi all,
Its Automatic confirmations don't work which were working very well until we upgraded to version 16. which was working like a charm unto all versions of 15.4 since its introduction.
Any one else having the same problem??
SHALL WE TROUBLESHOOT
1.What are the minimum essentials for the auto reminder to work - Do those match in my case given the fact that - E -connector is working
2.If it is needed for the versions of Open dental and Econnector to match.
3. If it is required to be from the same location ie the Opendenal.exe and econnector
4.Any changes to permission in 16.2 upwards such as for free registration key.
5.Any changes in email configuration that could alter the same
6.Any alteration of the database that could have affected the auto-reminders.
7.Can the usage of different versions of OD to the same database affect Auto reminders??
Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated
Thanking you all in anticipation
DR Pillai

dgraffeo

Re: Automated Appointment Reminders Not working in Version 1

Post by dgraffeo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:32 am

Automated appointment reminders and automatic confirmations are two separate things. Which are you referring to? Based on your use of the e-connector I'm making an assumption that you are referring to the automated appointment reminders. It needs a few things to work:

It's best to be on the latest stable version -
1. e-connector installed on a computer, usually the server computer, and it does need to be the most recent version of the e-connector that corresponds with the OD version you have. When you update it should update the e-connector as well. I'm not familiar with all the nuances of the e-connector but if you updated while the e-connector was running it's possible the program wasn't stopped so it's still using an old version even though you have a newer version on your computer.
2. A valid registration key
3. If automated reminders are sent via email, the email in OD needs to be set up correctly. Verify that you're able to send or receive emails. If you can't, then that's the problem.
4. If automated reminders are sent via text, integrated texting needs to be set up correctly. Verify that texts can be sent (also if you are using clinics it needs to be set up for the clinic).
5. In the Setup Recall window on the Automation Settings tab, are the times matching (Run Times is disabled) or are they different?
6. This is a bit advanced, but if you SELECT * FROM apptcomm, are there entries? If not, attempt to change a setting in the Appt Reminder tab in the Setup Recall window. Set the Hours Prior or Days Prior interval to a different number, press Okay, and SELECT * FROM apptcomm again to see if there's entries. Go back to the Setup Recall window and set the Hours Prior and Days Prior intervals back to what you had before.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

drmkpillai

Post by drmkpillai » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks so much for your detailed response dgraffeo,
I very much meant Automated appointment reminders- a feature implemented through version OD 15.4.
I am currently on OD 16.2.19 Foreign
1.Checked Both the versions of the OD and E connector are the same one as mentioned above. ( Infact, I deleted the files after stopping the service before upgrade).
2.Oh yes, I am sure, the ability to regularly upgrade online indicates a valid registration key - Provided By Dr J Sparks in way back in 2003-04, those days he used to email me the password for each version upgrade.
3.Email set is fine owing to the two facts - Automated appointment reminders were working flawlessly until upgrade to version 16.2.Furthermore, recall emails and manual appointment confirmations are working like charm.
4.I am from India and on a Free Registration,Therefore Integrated texting which is not a feature of free registration does not work.But I fail to understand why at all a paid and Unpaid service should be linked especially so when they were totally delinked in version 15.4
5. Automation Settings tab, are the times are they different else it would be equivalent to disabling the feature.
6.On running the query SELECT * FROM apptcomm there are a lot of entries,However apptcommype is '0' or '1' only additionally I have selected all
Thanks again

drmkpillai

Post by drmkpillai » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:51 am

Hi all,
Any one could figure out what is wrong
Thanking you in anticipation
Best Regards
Dr Pillai

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 am

The fact that you have apptcomm entries means that the logic is working correctly for inserting them. I've spent a bunch of time thinking about it and I believe the issue lies most probably with the e-connector. That is sadly not an area of the program I'm super familiar with so perhaps it'd be a good idea to give us a call so we can troubleshoot this issue with you!

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

drmkpillai

Post by drmkpillai » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Proud to be an Open Dental User
Finally, called up support and Sorted out in 5 Min flat
My mistake, I was entering start time after the end time in Recall tab of Appointment.
OPEN DENTAL ROCKS
THANKS ALL FOR SUPPORT ESPECIALLY- dgraffeo AND Jsalmon

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:35 am

Ah okay, the one question I didn't ask :lol:

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

drmkpillai

Post by drmkpillai » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks for your concern
Now its not only working but working overtime sending 3 reminders to some patients for each appointment reminder.
Like the day reminder would send it 3 times and then the on the day of the appointment the day reminder would also send 3 times . Any Ideas as to why this could be happening now
Thanking in anticipaTION

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:09 am

Definitely call support, I think the solution is as simple as clearing out the ApptComm table by changing the ApptComm send preference "days prior", pressing OK, and then going back in and setting it back to the value you had before. The techs will be able to verify if that worked, and if it doesn't, we can hopefully figure out what is going on

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

drmkpillai

Post by drmkpillai » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:11 am

Hi all,
Automatic reminders by email added a critical ability to OD however, since I updated to version 16.3 it no longer works.
I have even run the Wizard,rest of the settings have been maintained as was in 16.2
requesting inputs
Thanking you all

drmkpillai

Re: Automated Appt Reminders Not working in Version 16.3

Post by drmkpillai » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi all
Any Help would be much appreciated
Thanks