MariaDB

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
shadlewis

MariaDB

Post by shadlewis » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 am

Is there any reason why this won't work?

jsalmon

Re: MariaDB

Post by jsalmon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:02 am

There could be many reasons it won't work, or you could get lucky and it might work flawlessly. We (Open Dental) will not support your database problems / issues for we are not trained in MariaDB so be willing to embark on having a good IT team to help out when unexpected issues arise or to solve them yourself. We can and will give you our best guesses as to what might solve the issue if we recognize it. E.g. "We expect this to happen with MySQL so maybe find the equivalent for MariaDB".

I would recommend against it if you do not have a full time staff dedicated to monitoring your server needs.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

DanTheMan

Post by DanTheMan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Just wondering...

Has the position on MariaDB changed in the last 5,5 years within Open Dental ?
As MariaDB is easily available on Synology NAS machines it is a very tempting alternative to a Windows server running a MySQL server.

Regards, Daniel

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:14 pm

It's complicated. We're currently lukewarm about MariaDB. We were more enthusiastic last year, but then our hopes were tempered a bit. We are continuing to research it. The setbacks we've had have been with very large customers pushing it hard. Some queries are inexplicably slower than MySQL. For the most part, they are equivalent, but there are some edge case issues.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

alk

Post by alk » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:51 pm

I've been waiting for this for the same reason as DanTheMan. These synology boxes are incredibly reliable. For the offices I'm already using them for the images, the apteryx share, and as the AD domain controller, and as soon as it's supported I'd like to permanently run the OD database on the mariadb on it too and put the windows server to rest.

My database isn't huge (~1GB), but everything I've tested in opendental on it actually seems faster even on this little DS720+.

Dr. Sparks, do you remember off hand what queries/operations seemed problematic so I can check them?

FYI I'm running mariadb 10.3.21.

rootdr

Post by rootdr » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm

Hi,
Any reason why a solo practitioner in a low volume office couldn’t use a nice Synology DSM to run MariaDB and the other apps you suggested and just have OD on a workstation?
Don’t know if I would need to run AD since I won’t need group policies but then I don’t know much about windows server.
Solution seems elegant and since even the mid range Synology NAS have x2 NICs which you can bond at your switch.
Would also ease a disaster recovery plan having a replica unit running on or off site.
Anybody doing this in a production environment?
Thanks