Blank FreeDentalConfig.xml

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
drawab

Blank FreeDentalConfig.xml

Post by drawab » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:30 am

Quite strangely - using 15.1.28.0 (foreign) and even the 15.1.26.0 - all computers connecting to OD get a Select Database dialogue everyday - and the staff has to manually choose the server and the database (I sometimes fear they may make a mistake to choose on of the older backups)

I dug around and found that the FreeDentalConfig.xml is present but it is blank - while each time when even I click the select database i check mark the Save and remember dialogue -

One option is I could recreate the FreeDentalConfig.xml and copy it into all computers installation folder - but I thought I'd share it as a probable bug report

History - I have recently swaped my servers and copied the old database onto the new server- since then this has creeped up, could be a local problem also?

Thanks

jsalmon

Re: Blank FreeDentalConfig.xml

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 am

The most common reason for this problem is the user running Open Dental does not have read / write permission to the directory which Open Dental is installed. Running Open Dental as Administrator is the easiest fix.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

drawab

Re: Blank FreeDentalConfig.xml

Post by drawab » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Thank you that worked like a charm