database hosted on a NAS.

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
parkcity

database hosted on a NAS.

Post by parkcity » Fri May 08, 2015 1:22 am

So I am new to the forums but not to OpenDental. I support 9 offices with a simple 2 hub/spoke architecture with OpenSSL vpns. I have one office as the main hub with primary vpns to the other 8 offices and then a secondary vpn connetion to an alternate hub site just in case the primary goes down. I use OSPF to do my routing. Each office has their own windows machine to act as a server for the mysql database and for images. We keep OpenDental versions consistent across all the offices so each office can access any other offices OpenDental instance for scheduling, etc.

I want to move away from Windows as my server and use a Synology NAS to host the mysql database. The benefits are just to good to not look at seriously. Has anyone done this with consistent success? It is stable? What are the potential gotchas? I am not a DBA by any stretch but I know my networking (CCNP and my security (CISSP and SANS certs)

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

Brad

drmaximus

Re: database hosted on a NAS.

Post by drmaximus » Sun May 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Not sure about Sinology but I've read ppl running mySQL DB's (not specifically OpenDental) on freenas pretty easily but not sure how that would work in your situation. I would check the freenas support pages if that would work for you...