Hub and spoke network for two offices

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Blake Foust

Hub and spoke network for two offices

Post by Blake Foust » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:10 pm

We have two offices that frequently have to look up patient information from each other. Currently we are using logmein, but that requires dedicated computers on each side to access. I am wondering if I could setup a hub and spoke network with something like hamachi so that my workstation could act like a workstation on the servers in both offices. Would there be problems having open dental running from both servers at the same time or with on in a virtual machine? I am using Aptyex with sync so both servers have all images from all patients in both offices. So I don't see that xrays would be an issue. Unless Aptyex made me buy an extra license.

Anyone tried this? Or have a better way to accomplish.

drtech

Re: Hub and spoke network for two offices

Post by drtech » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:49 pm

Hamachi is great, the only time is is not always reliable is on a computer that goes in and out of sleep, like on a laptop. But if you leave the computer running and/or just boot up and down, it works flawlessly. I do use it for all my remote control. I have it setup as a VPN mesh network (although you could use any method for what I do) to be able to use remote desktop on Windows 8 pro. You get the absolute best experience, even with images...much faster and clearer than trying to use logmein remote client directly or trying to run open dental directly over the VPN...that connection has too high of latency to make it work smoothly. I recommend using hamchi for you VPN on a computer you can leave on. Make sure that workstation running windows 8 pro(lower versions don't allow RDP). Don't use windows 7 pro, as the Remote desktop experience is MUCH slower than win8's improved protocol.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com