Window 7 cannot connect to Windows 8

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
rajeshpareek

Window 7 cannot connect to Windows 8

Post by rajeshpareek » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:41 pm

I have homegroup and one PC client is Windows 7 and the server is Windows 8 but client PC cannot connect. Says cannot find MySQL host. Looks like some network issue. Thanks for assistance and ideas!

teethdood

Re: Window 7 cannot connect to Windows 8

Post by teethdood » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:47 pm

use IP address of server instead of host name.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:27 am

Using IP may work, however this typically means there is a deeper root cause, such as a DNS issue.
If you do use IP addresses to connect, make sure that they are static and not dynamic. It shouldn't be a permanent solution and the underlying network issues should be addressed so you can connect using server name.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

rajeshpareek

Post by rajeshpareek » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:51 am

I have computer name and it has worked before. its a small office and i dont have dns. it did work for few days and stopped. i will try ip adress. thanks for the response. i appreciate the time and assistance. regards roger

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Turn off your homegroup feature in Window 7.

Windows 8 is then able to log in with user name and password credentials to your Windows 7 computer and vice versa. We don't use homegroup. We use the old workgroup scheme and it allows all the computers in our local network to 'see' each other without a problem.

I should also say that the user name and password in all of our computers for the administrator is identical.

jamescfuller

Post by jamescfuller » Mon May 04, 2015 6:01 pm

stjames70 wrote:Turn off your homegroup feature in Window 7.

Windows 8 is then able to log in with user name and password credentials to your Windows 7 computer and vice versa. We don't use homegroup. We use the old workgroup scheme and it allows all the computers in our local network to 'see' each other without a problem.
Workgroup is what you need to use in an office setting. I had problems until I figured that out.
Homegroup is great for syncing a PS4 to your media server not a file server or MYSQL server/host. IMO

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 am

To add to my previous post, we called Henry Schein IT support because we bought an Instrumentarium CBCT from them which had Windows 7 and they confirmed to me that they also use workgroup with identical credentials in their offices as well. Best way for all their computers to be able to network to each other easily and safely.