Suni X-ray Setup

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
drtech

Suni X-ray Setup

Post by drtech » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:08 pm

I just got the a suni x-ray sensor and wondering if anyone knows...

I was just going to use OD directly, so I told them I didn't need the Prof. Suni software, just the driver, to save a few hundred bucks off the package deal.
Just got it today, so I installed the driver and hooked everything up. The problem is when I push the capture button in OD, it says I need to run the setup program first that came with the sensor. Is this talking about the Prof. suni software? Am I going to have to buy that too? (prob. should have to begin with :p) Any help from someone who has done this would be appreciated.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Every sensor has defects because it's impossible to create a perfect chip of that size. So each sensor has a file that comes with it that contains the corrections for that specific sensor. I don't remember the name of the file, and we're attempting to get that info on the website after xmas. Any chance that file came with the sensor?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:16 pm

let me see...it does have some files...looks like a "(SN#").suni" file might be it?
David Fuchs

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 am

Yes, that would be it. It has a filename that looks like the serial number of the sensor followed by a ".suni" file extension. In my Apteryx XVa3, the file sits in the Devices subfolder. Not sure where it would be placed in Open Dental, perhaps in the application folder?

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 am

i suppose i will try it in a few different places until Jordan can tell me when he gets back from vacation. :)
David Fuchs

drtech

Post by drtech » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 pm

I have tried putting the file in the OD folder but that didn't help, any more help on what to do?
David Fuchs

jkeele

Suni Setup

Post by jkeele » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:00 am

Hi,
We are using the Suni sensors here in Switzerland, and they work great. We do still also use the DrSuni software because of the enhancements. When we add it to our next room, we will only use the OD version, and look at the enhancements from our server.

I was having a problem setting it up also, and got this email from Derek. Hope this helps.

If you have not done so already, you should copy the contents of the Suni
CD that came with your sensor into the C:\Program Files\Open Dental\Suni\ directory. If you have more than one sensor, you must be sure to copy the contents of the CD that came with the sensor hooked up to the computer in question. You should also ensure that the drivers for your Suni sensor are up to date in the Windows hardware manager. Check these before you try anything else. The error that you are getting is being generated by code which is outside of the Open Dental program. It may help if you reset your Suni hardware. You can do that by unplugging the USB connection from the back of the computer and unplugging the connection to the wall socket (if there is one). Leave the device disconnected for at least 1 minute, then reconnect and try to capture again. Please let me know how things go.

Derek

James
Regards from Switzerland

jkeele

Suni Setup

Post by jkeele » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:02 am

Hi,
We are using the Suni sensors here in Switzerland, and they work great. We do still also use the DrSuni software because of the enhancements. When we add it to our next room, we will only use the OD version, and look at the enhancements from our server.

I was having a problem setting it up also, and got this email from Derek. Hope this helps.

If you have not done so already, you should copy the contents of the Suni
CD that came with your sensor into the C:\Program Files\Open Dental\Suni\ directory. If you have more than one sensor, you must be sure to copy the contents of the CD that came with the sensor hooked up to the computer in question. You should also ensure that the drivers for your Suni sensor are up to date in the Windows hardware manager. Check these before you try anything else. The error that you are getting is being generated by code which is outside of the Open Dental program. It may help if you reset your Suni hardware. You can do that by unplugging the USB connection from the back of the computer and unplugging the connection to the wall socket (if there is one). Leave the device disconnected for at least 1 minute, then reconnect and try to capture again. Please let me know how things go.

Derek

James
Regards from Switzerland

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:14 am

thanks for the help...i still get the same result....the message comes up in a window with an OD logo, but you are saying the message is actually generated outside of OD?

more help would be appreciated.
David Fuchs

jkeele

Post by jkeele » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:16 am

Hi DrTech,
Which version of the xImageDeviceManager.dll and suniusb.dll are you using?
James
Regards from Switzerland

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:27 am

Which version of opendental are you using that works fine with the suni sensor?

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:18 pm

jkeele!

Thanks for the question, b/c I discovered I didn't even have the SuniUSB.dll on my computers! I just took the latest version out of the required dll files on the SVN head and now the message no longer appears.

Since I compile the software myself, the installer doesn't automatically put those dll files in and I forgot to check that. I am at home and just tested it using remote control, so I can't take an actual x-ray yet, but at least it doesn't give me the message anymore....

...and cneelley, any version 5.0 and above should support the suni sensors.
David Fuchs

haddon

Post by haddon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm

I was having the same issues, but once you put the data from the cd into the directory....... off it goes! What a great feature!