mysql 5.6

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
alkhaef

mysql 5.6

Post by alkhaef » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has tried OD on mysql 5.6+. I'm guessing it's currently not supported, since the most recent stable comes with 5.5x?

GTIDs in 5.6 have made master/slave replication a lot less miserable, so has anyone tried it?
Al
Help! I've OD'ed on OD! :)

jsalmon

Re: mysql 5.6

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 am

I've only seen one customer using MySQL 5.6. They were not using the replication aspect of it. It seemed to be working. I wouldn't recommend it because if unexpected errors start to happen it will make our lives very difficult trying to figure out the root of the issue if MySQL ends up being the culprit. Also, their might be new keywords that 5.6 has introduced that we were not anticipating. An example would be our jump from 5.0 to 5.5 introduced the "SIGNAL" keyword in which case we had to rename one of our tables to signalod and all corresponding places throughout the software that utilized that table. We won't do such a thing for you if that ends up being a problem, we'd simply tell you to downgrade MySQL. Just some food for thought.

From my own personal standpoint I'm very excited for several things in MySQL 5.6. It's odd because I thought MySQL was going to get shelved once Oracle bought them out. One thing I'm happy to be wrong about.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

alkhaef

Re: mysql 5.6

Post by alkhaef » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks for the advice Jason. Well noted, and I understand completely that it wouldn't be supported.

Regarding the reserved keywords, you're right that they added a few. I just checked the schema against the new ones listed at the bottom of http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysqld-version ... s-5-6.html and it seems clear at least from that point of view. Whether default settings, etc would bite me, though, I don't know.

It's good timing cause we'll be staging and testing our new offices. I'll try to upgrade one to try it a bit before real production so at the very least I can report back. I'm sure you guys will have to qualify it for yourselves, but at least one more hearsay report won't hurt ;). I'll PM you.

Thanks again!
Al
Help! I've OD'ed on OD! :)