Problems sending email

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Manny Ramirez

Problems sending email

Post by Manny Ramirez » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Doctor created new Gmail account and configured OD with the credential as per OD instructions. Used port 465 and SSL. When sending an email from OD. We get "failed sending mail". I also tried using no SSL and port 25 and of course same problems. I was able to use the credential by going straight to Gmail with no problems. This indicates to me that the information is correct. I also called the ISP and verified that they are not blocking any ports. I temporarily disable Windows Firewall with the same results. The only way that I've been able to overcome the problem is by using a DYNDNS Smarthost account we have for relaying emails. I want to run Wireshark to see if I can trace any errors but in the meantime any suggestions ?

PD: I have done it at other locations with no problems.

Sharing is caring!
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

jsalmon

Re: Problems sending email

Post by jsalmon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 am

I still have yet to be able to duplicate this problem and I'm starting to lose sleep over it. I've hit the point where I'm going to be testing it outside of the office.
Several people have been having issues emailing in the newer version of Open Dental, particularly with sending emails with attachments. However, switching to port 465 seems to be a temporary solution for them (unlike your case). You might have seen the thread already, but just in case you haven't and something in that discussion sparks another idea: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4842

It's probably redundant to ask at this point... what version of Open Dental are you using?
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Manny Ramirez

Re: Problems sending email

Post by Manny Ramirez » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Build 12.3.31.0. I run an update and saw a new build 12.3.37. I am going to run it to see if it problem gets fixed
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC