Greetings from Spain

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
bunting

Greetings from Spain

Post by bunting » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:32 am

I will first introduce myself; my name is Pedro Diaz, I was involved in a little proyect for the university, and found out this proyect (I hope that you can get some publicity from that as we will be exposing at a european inter-university conference). The thing is that I recommended this proyect a friend of my parents, but there are several things I am still a little bit messed up...

I have found another forum for this program (but I suppose that one is uncontinued), in there I saw references to a group of people translating the program to spanish, and I would like to take part in that...

I have been fiddling with the "demo" version, but I haven´t found anywhere in the web site the differences with the full version (or with the version I can get by compiling the source code) appart from a limit in the number of patients and the stuff of the copyrighted CDT claimforms (which I guess I have ton to worry about as it wont apply to Spain).

I have also found this warning: "Code downloaded using methods listed on this page is NOT suitable for use in a live setting. A database using such code will be unable to upgrade later to a newer version.".
But I can´t work out what does it mean for a "live setting"?

Lastly, I would like some recommendation concerning what type of setup would be best, I had thought of a little "server" runing on ubuntu server version to give service to the mysql tables, and a couple of laptops with a Windows version running (compiled with visual studio). But as I am a linux lover I was thinking in guiding this person towards installing ubuntu also on the laptops... would there be many problems (I´ve read I´ll have to recompile mono...) or should I stick to the first setup

I know that there are a lot of newbie questions here, but I have read most of the forum and I´m still confused, any help would be appreceiatend Thank you in advance Pedro Diaz

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:18 am

Greetings. We do have some translations for about 8 different languages now. Many of them, including Spanish are not posted simply because we're so busy. We're hoping to entirely automate the sharing of translations between users so that we won't ever let it get behind like this again. But for now, I am going to have to personally rework some text files and post them in order for them to be available. I'm truly sorry it's not easier.

You can download any specific version of the source code EXCEPT "head". That version is in constant flux. That's what the warning is about. Linux is broken, but we are actively working on it, and I don't expect it to be that hard to fix.

Yes, it will take you time to work into this. I think it would be many months before you should consider compiling and using the compiled version in a dental office. The issues are just too complex. You need to have familiarity with the software, and that only comes with time.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:10 am

I might add linux is only broken if you are going to use it on a workstation. Using linux for your server works exceptionally well.

As for the workstations I have found that running OD in VM-windows/ubuntu works well.

welcome

steve
steve

bunting

Post by bunting » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:32 am

Thank you very much for your replies, I think that the better thing to do then is to continue with the demo version untill I manage to controll what I am doing. Could somebody please be so kind of sending me the spanish translation file (I am making the suposition that I can use it in the demo version).
Thanks again Pedro Diaz

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:13 am

Pedro,
I tried sending you an e-mail to the address you sent me but it was turned back. I tried again, but this time I also sent you a private mail through this forum. Please let me know if you don't receive it.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD

zirbes

brazilian portuguese

Post by zirbes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:39 am

Hi,

Is there an initiative to translate open dental do brazilian portuguese? If yes, then I would like to take part on that. If not, how can I help to create one?

Thanks,
Zirbes