age calculation

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
jamesx2

age calculation

Post by jamesx2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:55 am

We are having trouble with the age calculation in OD. When we enter in a patients birthdate OD says the patient is -101 years old. It has done this on several patients. Anyone else have this same problem?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:06 am

It's because you are in China. Check your system Date format in the Control panel. I think you are accidentally switching the day and month. The other possibility is that we simply haven't tested it on the Chinese calendar, and that there is a small bug when using that calendar.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jamesx2

Post by jamesx2 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:48 pm

We are using the US calendar. The computers are all set with the US settings not chinese. The data is being downloaded from our hospital computers and is all downloaded in the same format. It is just after the information is downloaded some of the patients are showing in the negative ages. Not many patients are this way but some are. My IT guy as checked and said all the dates are in the same format. He thinks it has something to do with the math OD is using to calculate age. I will try to find some of these patients in the database today and see if I can find something in common with them.

Tauqir

Re: age calculation

Post by Tauqir » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:36 am

i am in the UK and have a similar problem. I am using the UK calender and our normal date format is dd/mm/yy. is there a fix for this?

jamesx2

Post by jamesx2 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:43 pm

No fix that I am aware of. I still have negative ages. we use the format yyyymmdd

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 pm

This simply should not be a problem. We have definitely tested for US and UK computers. Tauqir, can you be much more specific about what your problem is? Show me what you type in and what the result is. Are you in the birthdate field when you are typing? What version?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Tauqir

Post by Tauqir » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:36 pm

i am using version 5.6.30.0
the problem i have noticed is that the age calculation for some patients is a minus number. so far it is only for a couple of patients and they are the oldest ones. Their dates of birth being 22/01/1916 and 09/06/1920, using the format dd/mm/yyyy.

i think i may have determined why this is the case. in the regional settings the short date format is set to dd/mm/yyyy. however we have been entering dates in the dd/mm/yy format. windows then takes it upon itself to calculate a four digit date and was selecting 20 instead of 19, thereby giving a negative age calculation. There is a setting also in regional settings to help guide windows into selecting the correct century. I have changed this and things appear to be ok.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:42 am

Ah yes. I should have suggested that. It's a Windows setting issue rather than any actual bug.
Jordan Sparks, DMD