MySQL

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
enamelrod

MySQL

Post by enamelrod » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 am

I was asked by a friend if OD is MySQL based why can't you run it on a MySQL cloud platform ? I didn't have an answer any responses?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: MySQL

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 am

You could, but performance isn't going to be that great unless the application layer is also running on the same cloud platform. Believe me, these are some of the very most complex issues I think about, and I think about them all the time. There are no easy answers, but we are attacking the problems from multiple angles. Here's a VERY simplistic breakdown of some of our strategies. Some of them will apply to you, and others will not:
1. Web Service: allows users to host their own db in a private cloud without the security risk of a direct db connection.
2. Storing images in db: Constantly improving this. Eliminates/reduces the need for the AtoZ folder. A way to convert back and forth would be great, but has not yet been built.
3. Browser version of OD:
- Requires no installation, which is important in high security situations where users are not allowed to install programs.
- Obviously optimized for speed, so application layer would not need to be on the same servers at the database.
- Features can't possibly be as rich. It's a lite version.
4. Hosting service: Some users insist that we host the database. So, we need to provide this service. The trick is going to be doing this cost effectively.
Remember that the list above barely scratches the surface of all the complexity.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:26 am

Terminal Server.... it works...

Some users seem to really want things in a "web browser".... like the "browser" is the ultimate program/gateway to another universe....

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Personally, I think OD browser version would be an excellent resource for patients to check balances, when their future appointments will be, what procedures were completed already versus pending, etc. if Jordan makes that possible. For dentists in small offices, we most likely won't care much for a browser version beyond the aforementioned "web patient portal." However for bigger chain offices, I'd imagine the web version to be used a lot more extensively, rivaling the existing internal network application we're used to. It all depends on the market Jordan is targeting. Professional vs Enterprise, so to speak.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Patient portal would be an entirely different piece of software even if it does get build on the same framework as the browser version.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:33 am

cloud would allow for no back up concerns, thats why my friend was asking.

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:06 am

Enamelrod, OD's monthly nag screen that forces you to check 3 or 4 different backup methods should tell you something. The more backup methods the merrier. I'm not sure if Jordan's going to roll his own cloud solution or use something like Amazon EC2, you shouldn't completely leave the backing up to someone else. Probably cloud-based OD will automatically save a copy of your mysql database locally just in case.

5,000 cloud offices x $500,000 worth per office = $2,500,000,000 insurance policy Jordan better take out for his cloud solution, provided they are completely dependent on him for backing things up. I'd be scared :-)
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Hey Jordan, have you looked into the Amazon EC2 services? That is essentially a server on the cloud. I have a Micro Instanace running 24/7 and pay about $9 a month. I use it as a backup to my remote support systems. Of course to run OD, a bigger instant is needed. More RAM and storage etc. The questions that always linger in my mind in regards to dentistry on the cloud are:

Internet connection redundancy
Store data locally in the event that the cloud server is not reachable
Data replication when the server is availble again
Compatibility with USB Sensors
Compatiblity with digital panoramic machines
Compatibility with Intra-oral camera
Compatibility with Phosphor Plate systems
Able to store digital images and scanned documents
Storing, Managing and Retring clear images

Terminal services can map USB sensors but it is very trivial. I know that are other solutions available in the market that facilitate USB port mapping. I've seen Dental Vision doing this. The solution was hosted in a data center with several terminal services. I was able to connect a Scanx machine and develop an X-ray while in Termial Service session.

Is it possible to configure two OD servers in push and pull configuration without being a MYSQL guru? I know that Dentrix Enterprise has a configuration where one can have a couple of MS SQL servers that send each other messages via SMTP protocol. There, is where my knowledge ends.
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 pm

teethdood wrote:... insurance policy Jordan better take out for his cloud solution, provided they are completely dependent on him for backing things up. I'd be scared :-)
Right. If we take full responsibility for backups, it becomes a huge legal liability for us. Our insurance company specifically asks us that question when calculating our premium. I tend to think that we would have some carefully worded legalese that would make it clear that the customer was still responsible for backups.
Jordan Sparks, DMD