AtoZ Folder and Kiosk

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
utahbmxer

AtoZ Folder and Kiosk

Post by utahbmxer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:02 pm

So I am working on implementing some Tablets to be used as Kiosks. Here is what I've done, and I've run into one thing that raises an issue for security in my mind. Office has just under 60 workstations.

-DD-WRT Wireless AP - One SSID for Office network, VLANd to office (64bit key). Other SSID VLANd for guests/patients, policy for access to internet only.
-Joined tablet to Domain. applied some group policies to lock things down (still working on hooking Windows keys, CTRL+ALT+DEL etc so that I can cancel them when OpenDental is open)
-New user in Active directory, removed from Domain Users, created Kiosk Users group, set as default.
-Hardened NTFS in shared directories so that the "Everyone" blanket user is not being used anywhere, replaced this with Domain Users.

My question: Is there any reason that a Tablet/PC in Kiosk mode will need to access this folder? I noticed that when choosing a database, there is an option to override the AtoZ location for that particular machine. If it is not needed for Kiosk functionality, then I might just create a local blank folder on the tablets and point it there. Any issues to this work around? Just trying to restrict things incase someone walks off with one of these or starts poking around when all the front desk staff is busy/not paying attention.

TL;DR: Is the AtoZ folder needed (read/write) for using the Kiosk mode?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: AtoZ Folder and Kiosk

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Right. You can just point it to a local empty folder. The empty folder will still need empty A-Z folders, I think. Kiosk functionality is all database rather than AtoZ folder, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

utahbmxer

Re: AtoZ Folder and Kiosk

Post by utahbmxer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:46 am

Thank you! That is great news. Loving Open Dental.