Install problem

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Jorgebon

Install problem

Post by Jorgebon » Tue May 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I uninstalled OD version 12.2.8 in my home computer (Windows Vista) and found that when I tried to re-intall it a message would come up as soon as the installation would start saying that the installation had stopped due to an error. Is this behavior normal? Luckily I had an old setup for version 6.something. This version installed without problems. After that I could install more recent versions without problems. Apparently recent versions install well as long as you have a previous version installed, but not if you had unistalled OD previously on that computer. Is this supposed to be like this? If it is, I really prefer the older installation routine that didn't abort.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Install problem

Post by jordansparks » Tue May 08, 2012 10:30 pm

No, I've never heard of that before. Can we just blame that piece of junk software called Vista?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

SpeedGP

Re: Install problem

Post by SpeedGP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:54 am

If you haven't already, You could try running the New setup as an Administrator by right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator".

You could also try using a program such as "Revo Uninstaller" to uninstall the program completely, then try installing OD again.

OR you could try uninstalling/reinstalling OD in Safe Mode by hitting the F8 button repeatedly before the Windows Loading screen pops up during startup and selecting "Safe Mode with Networking".

Vista was a very bad operating system, you may consider upgrading to Windows 7, it is truly much better.