Mac: Parallels vs VMware Fusion?

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
joshuab

Mac: Parallels vs VMware Fusion?

Post by joshuab » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:47 am

Parallels vs VMware Fusion? Which have you all had experience with and prefer with OD? I've read many of the other posts here already and know several have been running Macs in their offices and I'm looking to do the same. Would rather start on the right foot. Also, which seem to provide better snapshot backups?

Also considering running mysql server right on a Mac or virtualized on Ubuntu or other and do away with our Windows server all together. I guess that's possible. We are commonly fighting the 10 user limit on WinXP-Pro and this seems to be the way to avoid it. Was going to go with new Dell and full blown Windows Server, but seems just too much work+money when a virtualized solution will provide more reliability and flexibility.

Thanks for any feedback.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Mac: Parallels vs VMware Fusion?

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Go with the Dell. But the server doesn't need to be expensive. The Windows Server software only adds about $500 to the cost. Or, if you really can't stomach the $500, then get Windows 7 which has a limit of 20.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Fusion works really well for us.

Do you really need a server? Do a search on the internet on how to overcome the 10 user limit on WinXP-Pro. Really easy to do.

I like Macs and I don't like the idea of having the computer which hosts the mysql database get infected, that is why we virtualized all of our machines. I maintain an identical copy of the virtual machine at my iMac at my home so in case our VM at the office crashes, I can just copy the VM from my home, bring it to the office, and restore the whole thing. And yes, we of course allow Fusion to take snapshots, but I don't know how much I trust fully automated back ups.

I considered having a Mac server or a Windows server at some point, but after talking to an IT guy who insisted it was better to have a server, I could not really understand what the advantage was. I have been running Fusion and OD for five years now. No glitches, no hiccups, it just keeps going. And no, no server either.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 am

stjames70 wrote:Do a search on the internet on how to overcome the 10 user limit on WinXP-Pro. Really easy to do.
Every such solution that I've ever found is really just a computer virus trying to con you into installing it.

We didn't get a true server until we hit 30 computers. We got around the limit with a Linux file share. There is no limit for the MySql database, so it's always been on Windows. Now we have 12+ servers. It's only the first one that seems to have a psychological barrier; after that it's no big deal. Only get Standard Server, none of those budget versions like Small Business or Web Server. Those are total junk.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 am

stjames70, thanks for the feedback - glad to know it works so well for you. We're still seriously considering it. Will start with Fusion.

Jordan, you read my mind! I've never had success with ANY of the hundreds of patches I've tried to circumvent XP's 10 limit. I didn't even think it was only limited to the file shares - can easily move those. Mysql could then still be run from Windows - didn't know that. Excellent. Our biggest problem in the office (with the computers) is the 10 limit. Always causing delays.

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 am

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/wind ... patch-1497

http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads#4226patch

Hi joshuab,

I have posted above the exact links which I used in 2009 to 'patch' my instance of XP Pro. The first link actually provides the exact lines that need to be modified if you want to do it yourself, and the second link is by the actual author of the automated patch.

My advice would be for you to have a solid back up of your virtual machine and apply the patch to that copy and run that copy to make sure it works.

Once I got my virtual machine hosting the mysql database patched, I tried it out and it has been working without a hitch even through the many security updates that Microsoft has issued since.

Check out the author -- after nearly three years, I can confidently say that the patch is not a virus.

My second advice on applying the updates from VMWare for Fusion, is for you to try out the update on your home machine hosting an identical VM which you have in your office. In case you don't like the update for whatever reason, just don't update. I have found that sometimes updates are not quite necessary (at least you won't be able to tell any difference).

Did I mention backup? I am quite paranoid about this, but it has saved my bacon a few times. We have never had our computers down for more than a day with a good backup strategy (to Carbonite, to iCloud, to a portable hard drive, and to my home computer)

Anyhow, don't apply the patch if you feel uncomfortable with it. It worked for me like a charm. I do remember that I had to apply that patch to some of our workstations as well. With a VM, just clone it to your other computers.

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 am

James,

As with Jordan, I gave up long ago with all the many links to virus looking sites. This looks legit so I'll give it a try on the weekend. Never edited with hex before but looks straight forward. My tcpip.sys file is different but I read in the comments an update string to search and I found it. Will try manual and the auto-patch.

However, all the comments indicate this is for the max connections per second, not max 10 users - but... I'll try! If not working, will switch to Samba for file sharing and leave mysql alone. Tried running mysql on Ubuntu but the repository version is only 5.0 and spent all day trying to install 5.5 manually. *sigh*

Fun stuff...

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm very skeptical. The first link has nothing to do with a limit on shared resources. Outbout TCP limit is totally unrelated. I'm quite certain that there is no way to beat the 10 connection limit; it's baked into Windows.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

The proof is in the pudding?

I know that this looks too simple, but the fact of the matter is that it did work for us. We have 12 workstations running WinXP Pro 32 bit without a problem. They are all able to access the mysql database without a problem. If you don't believe me, you can have your staff remote in and look at our setup. If you have the ability to run VM Ware Fusion, I can even send you a copy of our VM in a portable hard drive and you can check it out yourself. The best thing when we figured out how to overcome that 10 connection limit, was the fact that I just cloned all the VMs into our other Mac workstations and changed the Windows computer names so you wouldn't have duplicate computer names in the network. Anyhow, not trying to make waves, just trying to help out others with similar set ups to ours.

(I should mention that we do have VMs running Windows 7 and they connect to the WinXP Pro computer hosting the mysql database without a problem -- as a side note, I added the auto-dialer function as mentioned in the forums and my front desk loves it -- thanks to all those guys who put it through the paces....now, if we could add text messaging to OD....)

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 am

James,

Where are your images folders though? Do you have those shared also from an XP Pro box with his 10+ hack? Jordan indicated MySQL should work on XP Pro, just not the shares.

Thinking about workstations now too (iMacs). When you mass deploy the images, you just had to change the workstation name? Wish there was a way around this so could update the image often and push it out. Would be great for managing updates (OS, OD, Apps, AV, etc etc).

Interesting on the auto-dialer - I'll search the forums.

teethdood

Post by teethdood » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 am

St. James,

That auto-dialer prog does allow you to send SMS text messages also. Read the posts again. Perhaps I should do another step-by-step write up
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:03 am

Hi Josh,

My images folder is in the default folder the installer put it in when I first installed open dental. Your workstations will not have a problem seeing that folder and mysql database as long as you point them to the computer which hosts your mysql and images folder. An important side note: when you first make the initial XP Pro instance as a VM, be sure to install dot net 4.0 or it will be a hassle later. All the latest versions of OD require it. And also, when you update OD in the future, it must be done from the main computer hosting the mysql database. Trust me. I once attempted to update OD from a workstation, and even though we did not lose any data, it was quite a disaster. Like a good friend of mine reminds me all the time, "read the instructions"....

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:03 am

Just so there's no confusion, we do fully support running updates from any workstation.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:08 pm

Don't forget about bootcamp as an option. I think its the way to go, myself. No virtualization to worry about, or users messing with the view settings in parallels/fusion.

That being said, I like fusion. Just because I have seen fusion be more reliable with a USB Intra-Oral Cameras... But that was Parallels 5...

I would not run a virtual server on a computer that is meant from the manufacturer to be a workstation. I like the Dell T310... I also LOVE the DRAC Card.

If you want to use a mac as a server, why not go with a Mac Pro? With RAID!
http://www.apple.com/macpro/

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 pm

That is precisely what we have now. RAID 10: Expensive, very forgiving, and fast rebuilds. Although, I have to say that RAID is probably overkill -- OD is very efficient as is and does not seem to be bogged down by patient data. BTW, our MacPro is a vintage 2008, but it works really well -- specially Left for Dead when you are really bored in the office and you need to let off some Steam...(that T-1 connection we pay for is really good as far as low latency).
I also appreciate Back to My Mac: it works really well if you have an iCloud account. I can connect to our main computer and all my workstations from home and monitor their function with one iCloud account. I know other less expensive VPN solutions work pretty well, but Back to My Mac simply works -- with a fast enough connection, the lag is very small and tolerable.

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:31 am

StJames,

Not sure how you did it. I tried the patch you linked to. I did both the hex edit and the automated tool. Both seemed to work. Neither lets me go over 10 simultaneous connections for file sharing.

Its ok though - going to put the images on a NAS or Mac and leave mysql on the "server" (winxp) and I think I'll be good.

Using Fusion though on the workstation rollouts - thanks.

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:50 pm

Sorry for making you chase a dead horse. I must have used something else back then, or it is possible that security updates back then allowed that modification and now it has become impossible due to the latest security patches.