ODBC connection over VPN

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Mifa

ODBC connection over VPN

Post by Mifa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:27 am

For a couple of years now, I've been using an elaborate query to gather production statistics from OD that I put in a set of custom temporary tables. Then, using an ODBC connection that links these tables to an Excel spreadsheet, by the push of a button in Excel, I update my practice monitoring spreadsheet and get an accurate and up-to-date view of the situation, with all the bells and whistles I have programmed in Excel. This works perfectly when my laptop is connected to the clinic's LAN. So far so good.

Now, I would like to do the same when I work from home... I would like to connect my laptop to the clinic's MySQL database using this same ODBC link if possible, over a VPN I guess.

I'm no expert at networking and secure remote-access so I would appreciate some input from anyone with this kind of experience. Can an ODBC connection work over a VPN network? (I was thinking of upgrading from Logmein Free to Hamachi to get this functionality). Are there other things to consider?

Thanks for your help!

Mifa

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: ODBC connection over VPN

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Yes, I connect to my db over vpn all the time. I have to use the ip address instead of computer name when specifying the db location. I have a VPN router which does take some fiddling to get to work.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com