Trouble running OD over VPN

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
apsdds

Trouble running OD over VPN

Post by apsdds » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:12 am

I have been running OD over a VPN between my 2 offices for the past 6 months. Last Thursday I moved the computer with the database from one location (LAN1) to the other (LAN2) because we were able to upgrade our internet connection there and the upload speed is now 2x faster than at LAN1. However, LAN1 couldn't communicate with LAN2. I moved the DB back to LAN1 on Friday. I disabled Windows Firewalls, and was again able to access a computer at LAN2. There was no staff at LAN2 so I don't know if I could have used OD over the VPN. Saturday, I moved the DB back to LAN2, where I could access the computers at LAN1. I returned to LAN1 with one computer from LAN2 which I connected at LAN1. It was able to run OD the 1st time I tried. However, now all the computers at LAN1 get the error message:"Unable to connect to any of the speciifed MySQL hosts". I've removed OD from the LAN1 computers, then reinstalled it from the OpenDentalData folder on the DB at LAN2. Still no connection. Also I cannot connect to OD using Linksys Quick VPN from my home. Any ideas? Both of my offices are open tomorrow so I need the connection. I'll call support in the morning.

apsdds

Post by apsdds » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14 am

Unstalling OD from computers at the office at LAN1 and reinstalling over the VPN from the server at LAN2 worked. I really don't know why it worked, but it worked.

apsdds

Post by apsdds » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:27 pm

When I moved the server to LAN2, the router there assigned a new IP address. When logging onto OD, you are asked for the name of the server. OD must store the IP address associated with the server name. The workstation was searching for an IP address at LAN1 and therefore could not find the MySQL database. It must have reset when I uninstalled and reinstalled.

After the 2 offices were up and running, I could no longer connect to OD from my home which I had been able to do before using Linksys QuickVPN. By entering the new IP address instead of the name I was able to log on from home.