OD on OS X

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Gradenko

OD on OS X

Post by Gradenko » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:03 am

Has anybody had any success in running OD on a mac yet? I've already got X11 and the mono package for osx from mono (as opposed to fink's mono), just wondering if theres any gotcha's before I give it a go.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 am

Well, the current version has a bug that causes a problem in Linux or Mac. It's in the procedure edit window. Other than that I don't think there are any problems. I think we will do some testing today on Linux to take care of that bug.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

wjstarck

Re: OD on OS X

Post by wjstarck » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Gradenko wrote:Has anybody had any success in running OD on a mac yet? I've already got X11 and the mono package for osx from mono (as opposed to fink's mono), just wondering if theres any gotcha's before I give it a go.
Justin Shafer had it running a while back, although that was a 4.x version if memory serves. The post was on the old forum, but you might want to email him and ask....
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

davidahn

Update?

Post by davidahn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:46 pm

I'm a hard-core Mac user since 1984 (original Mac 128K), and my wife is too. We are going all-Mac for her office (opening Q1 2008), and were going to go with Eaglesoft running in Parallels virtual machines, but a friend of mine turned us on to OD. I'm intrigued by the prospect of running OD in X11. Have you worked out the bug you referred to on 11/6? Will this work with Suni DR sensors? Can I PLEASE get rid of Windows altogether?

David

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:03 pm

Hmm. No, the bug is still there, but I'll try to make it a higher priority to fix it. It's unusual for us to let a bug languish for so long. I won't bore you with why it has happened in this case, but I will say that it's a simple fix.

As for the hardware, that's a different issue. I honestly don't think our imaging module is good enough for full digital radiography, even if you use Windows. No matter what, you will be using a separate program for the sensors. You would have to try that other program out to see if you can get it to run on Mac.

I've been trying to get rid of Windows since day one. Some day...
Jordan Sparks, DMD

davidahn

Thanks!

Post by davidahn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:38 am

Bummer... that's too bad. We just may have to go the Windows route after all for now. But it is exciting knowing that there is hope of a world without Windows someday! Thanks for your hard work.

Gradenko

Post by Gradenko » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 am

I found some time to try this this week and ran into a couple of problems. The first was a fairly basic build error that I'm posting up here in case Linux people are seeing a similar thing:

(The example shows a 5.4 build, and I get the same error with the 5.5 build).

Code: Select all

[nant] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/OpenDentBusiness.build build
            Buildfile: file:///Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/OpenDentBusiness.build
            Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile
            Target(s) specified: build 

build:

[csc] Compiling 202 files to '/Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/build/mono-2.0.unix/opendental-5.4-debug/bin/OpenDentBusiness.dll'.
                           [resgen] Read in 11 resources from '/Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/Properties/Resources.resx'
                           [resgen] Writing resource file...  Done.
                  [csc] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/Imaging/FileStoreSettings.cs(11,1): warning CS1030: #warning: `Hard-coded path'
                  [csc] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/DataAccess/DataSettings.cs(9,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Oracle' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
                  [csc] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/DataAccess/DataSettings.cs(9,1): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `DataAccess.Client' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
                  [csc] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/DataAccess/DataSettings.cs(9,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Oracle' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
                  [csc] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/DataAccess/DataSettings.cs(9,1): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `DataAccess.Client' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
                  [csc] Compilation failed: 4 error(s), 1 warnings

BUILD FAILED - 0 non-fatal error(s), 5 warning(s)

/Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.4/OpenDentBusiness/OpenDentBusiness.build(32,11):
            External Program Failed: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.2.6/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe (return code was 1)

Total time: 1.9 seconds.

BUILD FAILED

Nested build failed.  Refer to build log for exact reason.

Total time: 2.4 seconds.

make: *** [all] Error 1

Which was fixed by specifying the correct path to Oracle.DataAccess.dll in OpenDentBusiness/OpenDentBusiness.build:

<include name="../Required dlls/Oracle.DataAccess.dll"/>

This next one has me stumped though:

[nant] /Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.5/SparksToothChart/SparksToothChart.build build
            Buildfile: file:///Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.5/SparksToothChart/SparksToothChart.build
            Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile
            Target(s) specified: build 

build:

[resgen] The resource compiler for Mono 2.0 Profile does not support external file references.
               [resgen] Error: Invalid ResX input.
               [resgen] Inner exception: Could not find a part of the path "/private/var/folders/HG/HGhbG5PxF9SMnhK5FhK2kE+++TI/-Tmp-/tmp5a59a48.tmp/Resources/implant.obj".  Line 123, position 5.

BUILD FAILED - 0 non-fatal error(s), 1 warning(s)

/Users/dinesh/development/opendental/opendental5.5/SparksToothChart/SparksToothChart.build(36,10):
            External Program Failed: /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.2.6/lib/mono/2.0/resgen.exe (return code was 1)

Total time: 0.6 seconds.

BUILD FAILED

Nested build failed.  Refer to build log for exact reason.

Total time: 3 seconds.

make: *** [all] Error 1
It's not the path bug that fcarlier spotted previously and solved by setenv'ing $MONO_IOMAP (although I did try changing the path slashes in SparksToothChart/Properties/Resources.resx just in case). It looks like resgen is looking in the complete wrong place for implant.obj. That file is actually in SparksToothChart/Resources/implant.obj, not the tmp path. So my question is, is this problem specific to my build environment? I never get past that stage of compilation on v4.5, 5.4 and 5.5 of OD, and I'm positive I read that one or more of those are working on Linux.

OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mono JIT compiler version 1.2.6 (tarball)
NAnt 0.85 (Build 0.85.2478.0; release; 14/10/2006)

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Here are my old instructions... Havent tried it in awhile.
http://freedental.forumco.com/topic~TOP ... s~,OSX.asp

Might as well ove it over here...
Check it out!
http://www.dentalcom.net/chart.jpg
http://www.dentalcom.net/appointments.jpg

Here are my notes that I am going to post here... (Edited)
1. Install X11
2. Install XCode
3. Install Mono 1.2.3.50 the binary version from mono
5. Get a compiled Open Dental 4.7 Directory and put in in /Applications (I used VS2005 to compile)
6. To run OD you just run X with startx, then run "export LC_ALL=en_us" and then mono OpenDental.exe(To run automatically from the dock)create a .xinitrc file in the home directory (vi /users/Justin/.xinitrc) and have it say something like
quartz-wm &
export LC_ALL=en_us
mono "/Applications/Open\ Dental/OpenDental.exe"
save the .xinitrc file
7. Run X11 from Applications and see if Open Dental runs.. It should. =) Cool?
8. IF you like install mysql.dmg from mysql. read the readme. learn how to start mysql and stop it. get the open dental database and put it in /usr/local/mysql/data/mysql/opendental. You will have to do this as root so stop mysql then...
"sudo su"
"mkdir /usr/local/mysql/data/opendental"
"cp /Volumes/Windows/mysql/data/opendental/* /usr/local/mysql/data/opendental/"
Reinstall/Upgrade mysql.dmg again to get mysql to use opendental database and then start mysql.
Start Open Dental and use the database, also tell Open Dental where the images folder is... All Done! PS. I just copied them from my other hard drive but I believe jordan said a samba filesystem would work too) /Volumes/smbfs/opendentalimages after mounted would work I suppose.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Use OD version 5.6, not 4.7.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:58 am

Oh yeah... 4.7 is unconvertible... :D
Last edited by Justin Shafer on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 pm

so does 5.6 work? or only 4.6
steve

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:06 am

5.6 I havent tried on Open Dental but I willt ry later on my wifes mac. Mono is easy to install on a mac. =)

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:46 pm

5.6. Sorry about misleading numbers in the last few posts. I'm going to edit a few of them so that there's no confusion.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

spearfishdentist

Post by spearfishdentist » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:29 pm

Any word on the bug w/ Parallels? I was gonna show my staff the software tomorrow and just realized the tooth chart doesn't seem to work. Is that the same thing as the "procedure edit window"?

Jon

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:13 am

The bug is long gone. But the tooth chart will always be 2D on OSX or Linux. That's by design.
Jordan Sparks, DMD