Considering feature request for PatNum in ChartNumber

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
mowgli

Considering feature request for PatNum in ChartNumber

Post by mowgli » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:28 am

I'm considering putting in a feature request, but it would be great to get some comment on it first. The request is for a setting that will duplicate the PatNum for each patient into the ChartNumber field, if it is empty. This would make it much easier to use bridges for previous auxiliary software such as Dexis, after switching from Softdent. When converting from Softdent, we bring most of the Softdent patient ID's into the ChartNumber field. You can then set the Dexis bridge to use the ChartNumber. But if Open Dental patients are new or don't have a chart number, the bridge thinks the ID is "0" for all of them. If we had the setting to automatically put the PatNum there, we wouldn't have to worry about entering a ChartNumber for new patients, and all the old patients would still get bridged to Dexis correctly.
Currently, the only request for chart numbers I see is #66, to allow letter prefixes and auto-incrementing.

Hersheydmd

Re: Considering feature request for PatNum in ChartNumber

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:01 pm

mowgli wrote:I'm considering putting in a feature request, but it would be great to get some comment on it first. The request is for a setting that will duplicate the PatNum for each patient into the ChartNumber field, if it is empty. This would make it much easier to use bridges for previous auxiliary software such as Dexis, after switching from Softdent. When converting from Softdent, we bring most of the Softdent patient ID's into the ChartNumber field. You can then set the Dexis bridge to use the ChartNumber. But if Open Dental patients are new or don't have a chart number, the bridge thinks the ID is "0" for all of them. If we had the setting to automatically put the PatNum there, we wouldn't have to worry about entering a ChartNumber for new patients, and all the old patients would still get bridged to Dexis correctly.
Currently, the only request for chart numbers I see is #66, to allow letter prefixes and auto-incrementing.
That sounds like a great idea.
I had to manually change all my existing patient ID's in Dexis to match my Pt ID's in OD when I started using OD.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

Serenity Dental Care

Re: Considering feature request for PatNum in ChartNumber

Post by Serenity Dental Care » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 pm

I wonder if that is part of the problem I discovered today. I just converted from Softdent to OD. We had not bridged Dexis to Softdent but had been putting the correspoding patient ID in Dexis. Now, in OD, it will link with the patient BUT I noticed the xrays from an exam on Thursday 2-28-13 were not present but the prior batch could be seen from Feb of 2012 when OD opened Dexis. If I went directly through Dexis I could see them. ??? I wonder if it has anything to do with the overhaul/update Dexis did when they went to the Dexis Imaging Suite recently.

Thanks.

Eric J. Sterett DMD
esterett234@gmail.com