Billing for multiple offices with one database

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
mimai

Billing for multiple offices with one database

Post by mimai » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:47 am

We can not centralize billing operation in one office because we can not specify which office address to go on the e-claim (Claim-Connect) nor can we select the clearing house to send the claim to. The default setting dictates the address and which clearing house to send claims. The only way to do it in one office, according to support, was to change address and default clearing house alternatively for each office.

Our approach was to unlink the clearing house and preference tables to have different default and address at each location and bill from each location.

It would be nice if we can specify the office address and the clearing house from lists for each claim. Is that possible for future version?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:20 am

Your office is certainly pushing the limits of what's possible. I commend you for being so persistent. We have made a number of improvements specifically due to needs that arise directly from your office and its unique setup. For those who are unaware, your office is using circular daisy chain replication, correct? I consider support for one virtual database at multiple locations to be a very high priority, so I am very interested in responding quickly to your most recent issue.

So let's take this slow, and try to identify exactly what you are asking for. It is my understanding that you can currently specify the office address for an individual claim. This is done by setting the clinic field for the claim. This has been functional for a long time. The clinic field is pervasive across many tables. If you are not using the clinic feature, you might consider doing so. OK, so that will set the address for service location. In version 5.2, we added billing address fields that you can set in the practice setup window. This allows you to have one billing address that goes out on all claims regardless of how many clinics or service locations you have. These new billing address fields are currently only used for claims. They will not override the clinic address which will show at the top of each patient statement.

Let's talk about clearinghouse selection. Clearinghouse databases have their own limitations and designs. I believe that any clearinghouse will require you to setup two separate accounts with them, one for each service location. Open Dental can currently hold all the parameters for each separate account. You would just setup two clearinghouses in our menu. But here are the specific missing features which I think you need to make this work:
1. Claim Send window should filter by clinic so that you can exclude the claims for the other clinic.
2. There should be a dropdown on the send claims button to let you select the clearinghouse.

With those two features at an absolute minimum, you would be functional. Nice additions to further automate things would be:
3. A way to set the default clinic on a per-computer basis so that the filter described above always defaults to the correct clinic when the window first opens.
4. Let you set default clearinghouses on a per-clinic basis.

But those would not be absolutely necessary. What do you think? Would the two features I listed give you the functionality you are requesting?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

mimai

Thank you

Post by mimai » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:33 pm

You analysis is absolutely on the point! Yes, we use circularly link databases and automatically replicating image folders. We have not used the clinic feature and will look into turning it on. Features 1 and 2 would be great for us. We already have two separate accounts for the clearing house so 1 and 2 will get us going very quickly. We would love to have 3 and 4 too!!

Thank you again.