server

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
murmsk

server

Post by murmsk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:29 am

I finally bought a new server and am now considering setup options.

I have around 10 computers that will connect.

Linux - I currently use a linux server that has operated flawlessly since 2004 but it took me 3 weeks to figure out the permissions etc all of which I have forgotten. I suppose I could do it again.

Windows 7 - I understand it has a 20 computer limit. Stability ??

windows server 20?? _ I don't know anything about this except it is expensive . Is it worth the expence?

linux running a virtual windows server (vmware) - I find this idea intriguing. I use (and like) virtualbox to run xp on my linux boxes. You can backup the entire thing operating system and all very easily. I do have questions of speed and complexity/stability.

Anybody have any thoughts?

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: server

Post by jordansparks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 am

I vote for Windows 7. Yes, super stable, but there will be an annoying learning curve for security issues. The pain will be less if you have used Vista very much. It will certainly be less painful than doing it in Linux. It is not guaranteed to play nicely with WinXP, but then again, neither is Linux.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

how about using a Mac mini server? You could use VMWare Fusion and run Windows 7 as suggested. We have a MacPro as a server and use wireless to connect all of our iMacs. We use Dexis for our radiography. No issues for at least the last four years (I only wish we had hardwired our office, but that is going to have to wait until we have the money -- the Airport environment is inherently stable though -- we have only reset the main router twice in the last four years). We keep a 'clean' copy of Windows 7 virtual machine on a USB key just in case we ever experience a catastrophic failure (has not happened yet to our server or any of our workstations)

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:52 am

Are there any issues I should be aware of when going from Mysql 4.?? to 5.5? Is iit a straight copy or do I need to do a datadump and restore?

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:04 am

As it says in our manual, you need to go to mysql 5.0 first. And, of course, the grant tables need to be replaced or else you need to run commands on them to upgrade them. I don't know what the commands are because we prefer to simply replace those tables.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:39 am

Because I have a linux server I can't follow the upgrade path through 5.0 as described in the manual.

I did a test datadump out of 4.1 and restored to 5.5 seems to work fine. Before I trust it am I missing something?

steve
steve

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 am

That seems fine.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks again It is up and running.

steve
steve

JayRobles

Post by JayRobles » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:43 am

We're using MacBook Pros with VMware Fusion and Windows 7 and haven't had many problems. The integration is surprisingly good and doesn't even bog down the machine.