Syntax for Linux build flags

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
wjstarck

Syntax for Linux build flags

Post by wjstarck » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 am

Hello-

What is the command line syntax for using the new -LINUX and -MONO build flags with make?

Thanks,

Bill Starck, DDS

fcarlier

Post by fcarlier » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:10 am

These flags are set inside the NAnt build file, as such you can't set them using make.

All these flags -- LINUX, MONO, DISABLE_MICROSOFT_OFFICE and DISABLE_WINDOWS_BRIDGES -- are set when you build using NAnt on Linux.

See line 41 of opendental.build for the declaration of these flags.

(An option would be to use a Makefile/Autotools based build system that allows you to set these flags using ./configure, but I think the NAnt build system suits the needs of Building OD on Linux right now).
Frederik Carlier

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks Frederik- I found them too while poking around in the opendental.build file :P

I want to be able to launch VixWin (in Wine) with a program link. How should I handle this?

Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 am

PS: MONO is missing on line 41 of the current opendental.build file on svn...

Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS

fcarlier

Post by fcarlier » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:31 am

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I know Mono and Wine do not interoperate on Linux. That is, although you can run Open Dental using Mono and although you can run some Win32 applications using Wine, you can't make them talk to each other.

That is because you cannot host a Mono process inside a Wine process, see http://wiki.winehq.org/Mono-Wine_bridge for some info.

To cut a long story short: bridges that use Win32 messaging (such as DDE) won't work on Linux, not in the forseeable future. I don't see a use case, either: if you want to interoperate with a Win32 application, please do so on Windows!
Frederik Carlier

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:34 pm

The idea was to be able to view and manipulate digital radiographs from OD Linux like here:

http://odent.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=255

wherein I have OD running on mono and VixWin Pro running on Wine.

I was wondering if building with DISABLE_WINDOWS_BRIDGES would interfere with being able to launch VixWin Pro and send it the patient ID but it does not, so I'm OK.

Thanks,

Bill Starck