Upgrade to 5.1 causing marked slowdown in appointment module

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
mowgli

Upgrade to 5.1 causing marked slowdown in appointment module

Post by mowgli » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:05 am

Using version 4.9.13 with a large database (4 dentists with 2 ops each, and 3 hygienists, 100mb in size) it took only a second or two to move from day to day in the appointment screen. Now on v5.1.19 with the same database, the current day's appointments hang in the screen for about 8 seconds before the next day's appointments appear. On slower PC's, it's even worse, up to a minute. Using 4.9, MySQL (mysql-nt in process list) takes about 14% CPU usage to load the appointments, but on 5.1 it takes nearly 100% of CPU. Slowdown occurs on both MySQL 4.1 and MySQL 5.0. On another database, 65mb, it takes just a couple seconds, so it doesn't seem to occur on all databases. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and was able to resolve it, since I'm very reluctant to upgrade this office to version 5.1, and perhaps also other offices with large databases. Thanks for any ideas.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:55 am

I got this complaint last week but could not duplicate it. We have to have a database to troubleshoot. So they have two very simple choices:
1. Live with the slowness.
2. Let us have a copy of their database.
It's their choice.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:48 am

I had this same problem...I found that running a database maintenance fixed it on my database. You could try that. Not sure what it was that it fixed, but it worked for me.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:27 pm

drtech wrote:I had this same problem...I found that running a database maintenance fixed it on my database. You could try that. Not sure what it was that it fixed, but it worked for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did indeed try that fix before posting.

mimai

update to 5.2

Post by mimai » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:57 am

We had similar massive slow down after upgrading to 5.0 and the to 5.1.
After the appointment module was optimized for speed in version 5.2, the problem is gone. Thank you Dr. Sparks.