Split an insurance plan in two?

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
atd

Split an insurance plan in two?

Post by atd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:59 am

I have an insurance plan with about 400 patients on it. I need to split it into 2 different plans (one for adults, one for children) because they have 2 different fee schedules. Is there a way to script this or do we have to manually drop and add new insurance for one of the two groups? It's about an even split of children and adults, so we're talking about 200 patients that need updating. Anyone done this before?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Split an insurance plan in two?

Post by jordansparks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Obviously, a script can be written for anything. But the disadvantage of a script is that there is a risk of a bug in the script. We minimize the risk of bugs by building scripts into the program in a careful manner. I have insisted in the past that we do not write such scripts outside of tools that are built into the program and added as features. It's too risky. But I'm willing to entertain the idea for a few minutes. As a rough guide, the following would need to be done:
1. Identify which patients to split off based on age. Create a temp table.
2. Create a plan for each new child using that child (?) as the guarantor by copying from an insplan template.
3. Create benefits (?)
4. Alter each patplan object to point to the newly created plans.

I don't see too much that can go wrong there. In step 4, this also effectively drops the old plan while leaving it archived. This does not update insurance estimates, which might be a problem, I'm not sure. I'm assuming you are not using random primary keys/replication. That would add complexity.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

atd

Post by atd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 pm

I agree that can be risky. I'd be sure to run it on backup data first to make sure it works as expected.
I have the query to identify the children I want to move.
It's a Medicaid plan (setup as PPO), so the patient is always the subscriber.
I can create the plan with benefits breakdown for one patient first to use as the template.
No, we're not doing replication.
Should I contact you privately for more info?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:14 pm

We can provide this service at an hourly rate. The person I would normally have do it is out sick today. I'll leave him a note to call you.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com