Multiple Offices trough VPN

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
vlad

Multiple Offices trough VPN

Post by vlad » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:24 am

Hello,
My name is Vlad Naicu, I am a dentist in Bucharest, Romania and I am using OpenDent 5.0 within 5 separate offices using the same database trough VPN
Everything works well except for the speed and when I asked my ISP if they could raise the connection speed, they asked me how much speed do I need.
Can you tell me what is the minimum optimal speed for a cable internet connection for OpenDent to work well?
Thanks in advance
Best
Vlad
Vlad

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:33 am

Yes, I know the speed suffers across VPN. Just for comparison, remember that a typical highspeed internet connection won't even reach 1 Mbps. A typical LAN runs at 100 Mbps, and a LAN environment is where OD was first developed and optimized. OD is information intensive. It needs access to lots of data. So we can't really get away from the heavy data requirements. Increasing your internet speed will help, but you will start to experience diminishing returns (less bang for your buck) the faster you go. I have two suggestions to increase speed with your current setup:
1. Setup | Misc, upper right, check "Aging calculated monthly". That will save a few dozen queries when the Account module is opened.
2. On that same page, lower left, set your process signal interval to a very large number. Maybe 300 to indicate 5 minutes. Then, train everyone to hit refresh instead of expecting the refresh to happen automatically. You can always turn it back down if that proves to be too annoying.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

vlad

Post by vlad » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Thank you very much for your quick response I think that is very usefull, and also thank you for what you have done for us, dentists
Best
Vlad
Vlad

tdong

Post by tdong » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Well if you can afford the Optical line then it can go up to 100mbs but that would set you back $500 per month per location. Another solution is Riverbed Stealhead VPN.

I just attend a double take and riverbed conference. What it does is that it will reduce the latency of the package transfer. very nice idea and it seem to work pretty well. example you have one lane car and the car is driven at 20km that would hold up the traffic instead riverhead can allow the car run at 100km. Therefore you can use the same bandwidth but more through put. I think Cisco also sell the same router you would need each router at each location.

http://riverbed.com/news/articles/docs/ ... erator.pdf