older visitor->cannot manage any db

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
ugokind

older visitor->cannot manage any db

Post by ugokind » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:35 am

Hy Jordan. Im Guido Cortese. I talked you 4 or 5 years ago when open dent was another program name and when I was interested to translate to Italian language.. do you remember me?
Now I'm talking with G.Cicala, and we're trying to create (individually, not together) an identical and empyric way to work and start developing. We prefer to use an IDE open and free Like Mono or Sharp Develop or Eclipse, but for the time We're using vS2005 and VS2008 with all the requirements.
Then: We tried to install Mysql (the last stable release is 5.0.67) .. the setup bring you to use innodb system and latin codepage, but in the only one MySql Dump (in your web site) I see that it is for mysql4.1, MyISAM and UTF-8.
Then.. we've installed Mysql with Only MYISAM and utf-8.
Imported the dump.
Started the last HEAD release (of yesterday) and after the message popup that say that it will invoke the upgrade from the 3.4.17 version db to the 6.2.0.0. .. it give many errors.

the first is an exception:
Field 'Password' doesn't have a default value.. then it stop and exit the program
if i start the program it say that the db is corrupted.. but I saw the db with a manager.. and it is quite similar to the older release!
in RELEASE visual studio environment, the problem is:
all'avvio dopo la connessione al db mi da un altro errore
'Conversion File Folder' could not be found. Your Database has not been altered and is still usable if you uninstall this version, then reinstall the previous version.

then.. i saw the MISC\ClassConvertDatabase.cs data file you've created to manage the upgrade RELEASE by RELEASE from the 2.9 'til the actual version..
I've also seen that Before using the ClassConvertDatabase,cs the program try to call a lot of txt files in the ..DEBUG/Conversionfiles/.. with the name of each single release.

Then i merged those single version and changed the release version manually in 4.4.0 because is the last conversion file you've deployed and the last invoked by the program.

after that, the program say that he must upgrade from 4.4.0 to 6.2.0 .. ok.. but after few seconds it report the same password defaiult value error.

what can I do again??

please Jordan, provide us a path to start seriously
bye
guido

ugokind

Re: older visitor->cannot manage any db

Post by ugokind » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 pm

second exception
i read most of the topics.. I tried to replace mysql.data.dll and recompileto override the conflict version in order for the program to accept the newer 5.2 mysql.data.dll version.

then I get the error

Field 'UserNum' doesn't have a default value

ah.. Jordan.. It's a 'cold' way to say hello.. I'd better prefer to meet a person with a normal conversation.. I'm very sorry to 'break the ice' with this hard approach.

Mr. Cicala and I would like to start to give our personal contribute, I hope that you find that a good thing!
good night (for me)
ciao

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 pm

I think the errors you are getting are due to wrong server variables because you did not use our MySQL installer (curious why you did not). In any case, stop the MySQL server, change the my.ini file, and then restart the service.

Instead of making such a big jump in versions, why not start with a newer database? Our trial database is a good choice. If you are worried about losing your translations, export them for me, and I will post them in a way that the newer versions can import them.

Don't replace your mysql.data.dll file. That way only for a user from Turkey. Doesn't apply to you at all.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

ugokind

Post by ugokind » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:55 am

Hy Jordan. No you are wrong. I used Only the Mysql Installer. I tried to explain you that the Installer ask to install with a custom or express mode. The express mode use Innodb, and if you put skip-innodb in the my.ini the mysql service won't start anymore. Else if you install with the myisam version, it's not necessary to change my.ini because it has altready the skip-innodb option. Second: The installer read the windows environment and install AUTOMATICALLY the Latin codepage. But in your SQL Dump the codepage is UTF-8. Because I've joined to many course with the Italian MySql partner company 3 years ago in Milan after the Presentation of the newer Mysql 5 version, I know that it's important to chose the codepage before of the planning of the architecture of the database. This is why I wrote you that I used the custom installation, choosing what in USA is a Typical mysql server installation.. because of the environment variable that windows forward to the mysql installer during the setup procedure.

That's all. Please think and consider that this is a normal situation : use a standard developement platform, using the last stable mysql release, using your last svn opendental release!

then: the change of mysqldata.dll is a test done yesterday morning (and after reading the topic of the turkish man), but it have been a couple of weeks trying to have an upgrade of the databse, without any real positive news.

I've formatted my pc (because Thinked my problems was due to the 64bit platform!!) and reinstalled from blank disk in 32bit vista business platform, the one in my license. Then put the msdn vstudio 2k5 and 2k8 I have. The required .net sdk 1, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5.

I believe that I've the perfect condition to work, and this is why I'm worried about the very older db you provide. I think.. What will happen in the futurre if I go to a new customer and try to install an opendental release. What kind of trouble I'll get with the db conversion!

Jordan, Cicala wrote you yesterday too, we have a very real difficult to start using the program.
please, be more patience with us

bye
guido

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Oh, 64 bit. Yes, install myisam version, skip-innodb, and comment out any other server variables that you find in that my.ini file. I don't recall having to set the server to UTF-8. I think we do that on a table by table basis. It's not in the my.ini file.

No, we won't use the last stable mysql release. That's a moving target. We picked a mysql version a few years ago and we intend to continue using it. It's best when we have a known version to work with. Since we make it nearly a requirement to use our installer for mysql and NOT the one from the mysql website, none of our customers every have this problem.

So, I stress again that the problem is server variables in the my.ini file.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

ugokind

Post by ugokind » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:02 am

Thanks Jordan. Today I've completed mu db upgrade. Thanks to Cicala who's found the best and quickly solution.
Now I'm ready to start studiyng the project, acconding to the policy you've been published in the developer web site.

see you soon

guido