Cleaning up duplicate insurances

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Rickliftig

Cleaning up duplicate insurances

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:42 pm

After our database conversion, there were many insurance plan duplicates generated. For example, Helen D. not only had her primary plan, but a secondary, tertiary and quatenary. These were a left over from my old program that never deleted plans when they were changed. During the conversion, it was impossible for the conversion team to figure out which was the current plan from the data alone (the crucial flag never revealed itself).

At this point, we havemanually culled out the duplicates by using the Drop feature. In any listing/reports of patients and plans, they still show up, but on a day-to-day basis, they are of no consequence. IOW, Helen D. only has one plan showing in her family window. If you "Add Insurance" there are four plans with her name on it to choose from.

So, am I being way too compulsive about this? or is there an easy way to clean the junk plans from the database?

Thanks in advance.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning up duplicate insurances

Post by jordansparks » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:28 pm

No, you have a good point. Most offices will have much less junk, but regardless, there should be a way to clean it up. I'll move it up on the priority list. One option you do have in the meantime is to flag it yourself somehow. One harmless way seems to be by appending something to the end of the carrier or employer, like (do not use).
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Re: Cleaning up duplicate insurances

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks Jordan - i had figured it was just the anal-retentive dentist in me coming out. One of my patients suggested that if I really liked IT that much, I should start having policy meetings with myself and begin drawing up an organization chart (for myself).
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net