SFTP for images

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
Ardavan

SFTP for images

Post by Ardavan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Hello world,

I'm interested in moving away from DropBox as a storage engine and am looking at the SSH option and have a few questions to that effect:

0) This is to the community: how has your experience been using SFTP in production?
1) How are the SFTP credentials protected?
2) Are there any plans for (or is it currently possible but undocumented) implementing key based authentication with the SFTP server? (Exposing port 22 with password based authentication just doesn't sit well)
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

cmcgehee

Re: SFTP for images

Post by cmcgehee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:50 pm

How are the SFTP credentials protected?
The username is stored the the Open Dental database in plain text. The password is obfuscated and also stored in the database.
Are there any plans for (or is it currently possible but undocumented) implementing key based authentication with the SFTP server?
We do not currently have plans for this. A couple months ago I needed to connect to an SFTP server that required a key file, so I modified my local Open Dental program. It was a pretty simple change, so a feature request wouldn't be too difficult.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks Chris, as always you're quick to reply and your reply is helpful!
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:09 am

Has the Key Based Authentication with SFTP server been implemented?

joes

Post by joes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:23 am

It has not been implemented. I don't believe the feature request that Chris suggested was ever submitted.
Joe Sullivan
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:22 pm

We tried setting up SFTP for trial. The performance test came out ok, however it takes 4-5 sec for each documents and these documents are of size less than 100k