Non-English characters

For users or potential users.
nchr

Non-English characters

Post by nchr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:59 am

Dear OD community,
I am a happy user of the OD software and recently with the addition of a Planmeca Pro-One panoramic unit in my practice I have made a bridge so that OD and Dimaxis software would communicate.

Everything works just great for my English patients (or Latin alphabet names), but for my Greek named patients (or Greek alphabet names), since I live in Cyprus and those are the majority, the Dimaxis software does not recognize the characters/ fonts and I get a gibberish name in the catalog. If I write the name in OD using Latin alphabet characters the problem of course disappears.

I am using Windows Vista (English), and ALL regional settings including non-unicode characters are set to Greece.

Is there a solution to this problem other than changing all my patient names in English characters?

Thanking you in advance,

Nicos Christodoulides, DDS, MSc
Nicos Christodoulides

gdbanks

Re: Non-English characters

Post by gdbanks » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 pm

I think the problem is with the Dimaxis software and not OD. Have you contacted support for Dimaxis? Do they support the Greek alphabet?

nchr

Post by nchr » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I do not think that the problem is with the Dimaxis software. There is an English and a Greek version of the dimaxis software installed and in both versions when I type the patient's name in the software itself using the Greek alphabet I have no problems whatsoever. The problem exists only through the bridge via OD software. I guess it is an encoding issue, but I have no idea how to resolve it.
Nicos Christodoulides

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I created a new page that will answer your question:
http://www.open-dent.com/manual/bridgeplanmeca.html
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

nchr

Post by nchr » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 am

Thanks Jordan,

At least I know now that at the moment this is not possible. When it becomes available I guess you will let us know.

Thanks again

Nicos Christodoulides
Nicos Christodoulides