Print Receipts for cash payments

For users or potential users.
bapajan

Print Receipts for cash payments

Post by bapajan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:57 am

Hi,

In most of the cases here, patients pay through check/credit card/cash (very small insurance related payments and dealt outside the system currently) and a receipt is given to the patient for his record. The statement option gives the treatment charges and payments made. Is there an option to print receipts (payments made in cash by the patients after the treatment)?

Also, i did not see any provision to generate bill or invoice in the system.

Regards

parksjdp

Re: Print Receipts for cash payments

Post by parksjdp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:05 am

Wouldn't you just print them a walk-out statement for that day? It would show charges and payments, whether cash, check or credit card.

As far as the accounting system, I don't use it so I cannot help you.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 am

The patient billing for batch billing is under the Manage Module.
To generate an individual patient statement or bill you can just use the "Statement" button at the top of the account module.

bapajan

Post by bapajan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

Yes i agree, the statement option is one alternative but still it does not replace the bill or receipt option. The bill and receipt is something similar to what we get when we purchase something. For example, every patient will receive a bill (with unique bill no,bill date,etc) for the services provided during that appointment and on paying the amount, generate a receipt (once again with unique receipt no , date,etc). Which unfortunately is not possible in Open Dental right now. If i am wrong in my observation, please feel free to correct me.

Regards

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:50 pm

There is no difference between a bill and a statement in our system. We currently use both those terms, but they are exactly the same. We don't have any invoicing mechanism that groups procedures by date.

Bill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%28payment%29
Statement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_statements
Invoice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invoice

There's no reason why we would have to generate a specific "invoice" for a specific set of charges and then refer to this "invoice number" in future statements. It just adds an additional level of complexity. The way we do it, as a running balance without grouping by "invoice" is much more common in dental software.

Are you in a foreign country? Maybe that's where the confusion lies. Maybe things are done differently in other countries.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Tauqir

Post by Tauqir » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi Jordan

i have to admit a receipt and statement mean two different things here in the UK. However the walkout statement is sufficient.
it would be useful if the layout of the statements and treatment plans could be altered to take into account preprinted stationary. I understand it is planned, any idea when it might be implemented?

Tac

bapajan

Post by bapajan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi,

Once again thank you for the replies.

The Bill or Invoice and Receipt or quiet different from statement. Thank you Jordan for pointing me to wikepedia. A bill or invoice and receipt normally carry a bill number or invoice number or receipt number apart from the amount and other details. I know it is an added complexity and it will take a while to come out of the archaic system.

In this part of the world (India) a bill or invoice and receipt is a practice being followed (all commercial and service establishments) with the help of which the patient applies for a reimbursement from his employer or other competent authorities. Since it is a commercial document demanding payment from the customer / patient it is a general practice to have an unique reference number in order to link any future correspondence regarding the same. Also, since all services are taxable, it is all the more important to maintain proper records with appropriate reference numbers. The only alternative is to use a billing system and raise invoices / receipts.

Regards

kaps_dude

Post by kaps_dude » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:08 am

I agree that there is a need of a seperate reciept tool with an automated and sequential numbering system. Like a patient number is generated automatically, it would help to generate an automated "Reciept number: " . This would help things in those part of world where there is no dental insurance and the numbered reciept is to be provided to the employer for the refunds of dental treatment.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:37 am

I think you should submit this request as:
Show statement numbers on printed statements and in Account grid.

Or if that's not good enough, then:
Show payment numbers in Account grid.
and
Print receipts for individual payments. Include payment numbers for unique id.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com