Hardware for Paperless Office

For users or potential users.
Joseph

Hardware for Paperless Office

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

Can any body share / recommend hardware type for paper less office setup?

I would imagine I would need two servers:
- main server and a backup server

In the operatories what kind of hare hardware is recommended, I would imagine the most suitable would be a diskless unit that boots over the network, isn't it?
What about the mounting positioning the unit by the operatory.

2.) There is a company in China: GUANGZHOU HAO HEALTH ENTERPRISE
http://www.dental-camera.com/
Are any of their cameras compatible with Open Dental?
I've tried to contact them twice but they didn't bother to reply.

#Joseph

murmsk

Re: Hardware for Paperless Office

Post by murmsk » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:35 am

OD is very easy on hardware so don't get too carried away.

A server is best but is you have fewer than 10 computers XP will function as your server. A lot of people use a Linux server. You can setup the HD in a raid for more safety and or speed. One of the work stations can function as the backup server.

A standard computer in each op with 2 screens. One screen in front of the patient for education and one in back for Dr/Asst use. Dell sells good solid reliable computers with a 4 hour service contract. Most any computer will be fine tho. I have used as slow as a pentium 3 500 mhz box with good results.

A good scanner for scanning medical histories and the like.

X-rays you need a digital radiographic system with software.

If you have the need to scan in old film based radiographs, pans or cephs get a transparency scanner.

Hardwire your computers to the network..... it is faster, more reliable and safer than wireless.

If you feel the need to sigh progress notes get a topaz signature pad.

steve
steve

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 pm

murmsk wrote:OD is very easy on hardware so don't get too carried away.

A server is best but is you have fewer than 10 computers XP will function as your server. A lot of people use a Linux server. You can setup the HD in a raid for more safety and or speed. One of the work stations can function as the backup server.
I think the only part that they run on Linux server is MySQL database, isn't it?
OD is designed for MS platform, adding Linux to equation is just a waist of CPU :wink:
A standard computer in each op with 2 screens. One screen in front of the patient for education and one in back for Dr/Asst use. Dell sells good solid reliable computers with a 4 hour service contract. Most any computer will be fine tho. I have used as slow as a pentium 3 500 mhz box with good results.
How about using disk-less computer and booting it from Main Windows Server over the network?
The less moving parts the better :D
Do I need the MS Windows License if I'm booting over the network another box? I haven't used Windows for a long time.

[snip]
If you feel the need to sigh progress notes get a topaz signature pad.
Signature pad to accept finger print? Is OD capable of using such unit?
This would be nice touch but I think our bureaucratic insurance companies (in Canada) are not ready for this yet; they want dentist to have an original hard copy signed by a customer.

#Joseph

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Depends on how you do it. You could use Terminal Services which requires some sort of end-user license, although I don't remember which kind. But to do TS, you probably need Windows Server. Do you really want to pay for all of that? It seems simpler to me to install Windows as an ordinary workstation. I have heard of other kinds of "multipliers" (probably the wrong terminology) which allow one computer to supply multiple "terminals". That strategy can save you on some hardware, but you do need a Windows license for each terminal in those scenarios.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:23 am

You will not be running OD on a dedicated server so the fact that OD is a windows program is not an issue. Mysql runs as well or better on linux box and takes less CPU to run than mysql on a windows server. It takes some learning to set up or finding a linux nerd to do it for you . Depending on how many workstations you plan on using, It can save you several thousand dollars in windows licencing fees.

I know nothing about diskless computers or network boot.
steve

panamanian33

Post by panamanian33 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Joseph, It all depends, as everyone has replied. OD runs just fine in a Windows XP box acting as the "server" with less than 10 computers as indicated by "murmsk"

I do have a few suggestions to add to your request.

1. Level of Expertise: Do you have basic knowledge of peer to peer Networking and file sharing? If you do, then you'll be O.K. If you don't, then hire a network consultant, and provide him or her with the Open Dental requirements. That way, you can get an idea of what needs to be done and how.

2. Future Expansion: Do you plan to add digital X-rays into your Network system. If yes, then your "Network setup" will mostly be based on such software requirements.

3. Keep it Simple as Jordan mentioned. I've done lots of troubleshooting for many Dental Offices where Hardware and Software are overkilled. You need to tailor the network setup based on your current and future needs.

I hope it helps,

Alex