What reports do you run?

For users or potential users.
asanders

What reports do you run?

Post by asanders » Thu May 29, 2008 5:55 pm

A stupid question, but what reports do you run and when? I keep the daily deposit sheets but that's it. Should I be running an adjustment report, monthtly production/collections, etc. and saving that to create a paper trail? What others? A daily production/collections? What? I'm trying to safeguard against embezzlement.

DavidWolf

Re: What reports do you run?

Post by DavidWolf » Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 pm

I usually run the reports on the screen for daily and monthly production whenever I am curious about the status of the day or month. I don't really keep a paper copy.

I do try and run a monthly aging report as well as a month end production report.
I transfer the data into a spreadsheet that I use to track my account's receivable month to month to make sure there is not a problem brewing with my collections.
I also have some other data like number of new patients, number of office vistits, $$/office vistis, how much my accounts payable for the month were.

I just like to keep track of these things for nostalgic reasons, the spreadsheets are fun to look back through, like your high school year book.
Also gives you a good idea of the health of your practice financially.

Regarding the adjustments reports....I like to keep an eye on adjustments, because this is a way that your staff could embezzle from you.
eg. Taking payments from patient's and then adjusting the amount off rather than making a payment entry and then pocketing the money. I usually just run the report on the screen once in a while and make sure that I recognize the adjustments.

Some programs require a month end closing to lock in saved reports, Open Dental does not require this....

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: What reports do you run?

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 31, 2008 9:17 am

I don't personally keep any paper trail. If you pay a hygienist based on production, then you would, of course, need to keep hard copies of production reports. What's more important than paper trails is multiple snapshots of the database at different points in time and stored in different physical locations. If you are using the OD accounting feature, then a hard copy of each year's general ledger should be saved as a paper copy.

For embezzlement, see http://www.open-dent.com/manual/embezzlement.html
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com