Those Pesky Treatment Plans

For users or potential users.
parksjdp

Those Pesky Treatment Plans

Post by parksjdp » Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 am

I know that there has been a lot of conversations regarding TP's and being able to save multiple options for patients and have the graphical chart print out only the procedures in the saved TP, however I cannot remember if they have the ability to apply insurance coverages individually. For example, you have 2 options,

Option A - RCT, Post/Core, PFM

Option B - Extraction

Option A uses up all the insurance benefits available and properly shows the full benefits on the saved TP. Then would option B show any insurance benefits available? In other words, does OD's TP module have the ability to look at these 2 options independently?

Secondly, what is the preferred method of giving TP's to patients showing insurance benefits after current exam and cleaning. For example, a patient comes in for comp exam, FMX, and cleaning. During the exam a TP was generated for 2 PFM's, a RCT w/ post/core, and multiple fillings. Upon giving these to the patients, it shows how all insurance benefits were applied and exhausted. Then, when I review the TP's at the EOD, the default TP shows different amounts paid on a procedure. This is due the insurance amounts paid for the exam, FMX, and cleaning.

So, the question would be, do you need to complete procedures and set up a claim for the exam, etc before saving TP's in order to have the proper benefits remaining applied?

Sorry if this is confusing, I can try to explain better if no one can understand what I am trying to explain.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Those Pesky Treatment Plans

Post by jordansparks » Wed May 28, 2008 7:20 am

Deductibles and maximums are computed on the fly in the TP module. You can reorder things to change which procedures the deductible and max apply to. If you still don't like the way it shows, then save the TP and edit the numbers in the saved TP. You can force the numbers to be whatever you want, regardless of any calculations.

Yes, for large TPs, it is helpful to reprint after the appointment is complete and the claim has been generated. In practice, I have found that we rarely need to actually generate a claim for the comprehensive exam before printing the initial TP. If there's an annual maximum that we're hitting, it seems to be good enough to just print the TP and not have the annual max cutoff point be perfectly accurate. This is compensated for by generally reprinting the TP after each appointment to get the most accurate picture of how much benefit remains.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Thu May 29, 2008 1:33 pm

2 things

1. Is there anyway to get a procedure into a saved TP or do you have to redo the entire thing?

2. How do you reorder the procedures? Either in the TP or the Chart?
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 29, 2008 2:36 pm

1. That's a very good point. I think that allowing the user to and and remove procedures from saved TPs might be our highest priority in that module. You can't do that right now.
2. By using priorities.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Fri May 30, 2008 6:18 am

Jordan

You can remove them correct?. I think that if you double click the procedure in the saved TP you can delete it. The big thing for us is adding a procedure. Some of my staff get a little ahead of themselves with TP's and for get to add certain procedures and then I have to correct them be deteting TP and starting over. It will be nice to get that feature added. As always great job.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101

steveng

Post by steveng » Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 am

We're highly utilizing TP for presenting patients their options.
Couple of suggestions that I believe all will benefit:

1. Upon acceptance of TP it will save a ton of time to make one of the accepted TP to become active TP. In other words: replace default TP with the one that was accepted, automatically, but still keep the saved TP for backup. Thus we won't have to go back to default TP to duplicate those adjustments or remove unaccepted procedure all over again.

2. Allow adjustments control straight in the grid. Patients are impatient to hear their final $$$ amount and this will speed up the overall process when we try to sweeten up the deal by adjusting some fees. Opening up separate window is a nice feature but time consuming.

3. This may be complex and I'm willing to hear what will it cost ($$) to implement.
If adjustments were made to the accepted TP, it would be great to keep track of those adjustments as in the Account module. We’d like to know how much of the adjustments were made to our fees after the treatment is marked completed for that date. In other words, when procedure is marked completed also attach any adjustments that were made during TP to this procedure with same date. Thus get an accurate P&I report for the date with adjustments reflecting particular provider. I hope I’m clear enough.

OD is so great we just can’t get enough of it. :D
Thanks,
Steven G.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Fri May 30, 2008 12:25 pm

I have noticed that in the treatment plan module there is a column for discount, is there a way to enter a manual discount or is it only related to PPO discounts?

Just also noticed that the plans over 10k printout correctly but they still do not display correctly in the treatment plan window.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 31, 2008 9:11 am

The discount column is currently only for PPO plans, but it is obviously going to be extended for ordinary patient discounts such as senior or cash discounts.
Jordan Sparks, DMD