Do Not Usually Bill to Insurance ??

For users or potential users.
DavidWolf

Do Not Usually Bill to Insurance ??

Post by DavidWolf » Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 am

I have recently ccompleted some procedures which are checked do not usually bill to insurance in the procedure setup, for example porcelain veneers, it seems that these procedures are getting insurance estimates attached to them, which causes the estimated amount due in Red at the top of the patient's account to be wrong. I have had two cases in the last week that the amount collected at the time of completing a big case was not done correctly because of these erroneous estimates being attached to procedures which are not supposed to be billed to insurance.

Do we need to do something special other than have the procedure code setup as checked do not usually bill insurance.

I have had to manually delete the estimates reset the individual completed procedures to do not bill insurance.

I am thinking that his might be a small bug because I don't remember this happening before.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Do Not Usually Bill to Insurance ??

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 22, 2008 1:22 pm

We haven't really touched any of that logic. The only thing that changed was the way the information was displayed. I haven't seen this before, and from the sounds of it, you are not able to directly duplicate it. We'll keep an eye out for it, but there's usually not much we can do about it unless it's something we can duplicate, or unless multiple users have complained about it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu May 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Your correct, I can't duplicate this .....and I have been trying to....

I have no idea how the do not bill insurance check box got unchecked in all of the procedures.
The last time this happened it was only 1 of 9 veneers, so it would make sense that it was just an accidental change in the procedure. But today it was four out of four veneers, it however was along with two crowns that should have been going to insurance. Who knows??? For now it is a mystery.

Thanks for the reponse, I will keep an eye out for any way to duplicate this....

Best regards.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm

I did get a bit closer to duplicating this....

Planned procedures which are not usually billed to insurance can be pretreated which over-rides the check box and places an estimate in the procedure. I still cannot figure out how the check box gets taken away, because even with the estimate in the procedure OD will not make the claim if the do not bill to insurance checkbox is checked.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 22, 2008 2:38 pm

Ah, it might have to do with the pretx estimate. OK.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu May 22, 2008 3:46 pm

OK, I really figured it out.....

Place a procedure in the plan that would normally get billed out to insurance, use an all porcelain crown on tooth #7, then open the procedure and change it to a veneer (or a procedure that should not be billed to insurance).

The new ("changed") procedure is not checked do not bill to insurance!!!!! And when you complete it you can make an insurance claim for it.

It just happened to me on a emergency exam that I changed to recement temp crown!!!!

When I did the 10 veneers there was a question of one of them being an all porcelain crown, which is why only one of them was different. The patient today - when I made the plan I used 6 crowns just to get the total cost estimate close and then changed those procedure to veneers when I finalized the treatment plan.

I am so happy that I am not going crazy.