Statements for Payment Plan Patients

For users or potential users.
B.Thomas

Statements for Payment Plan Patients

Post by B.Thomas » Tue May 20, 2008 4:22 pm

We just upgraded to Vers 5.6.25 and my staff noticed that the Statements no longer show payments credited to the payment plans. Is this by design? I told them to print the payment plan instead to show payments made. That's OK for walkout statements but will be tedious for monthly billing.

What suggestions do you have for this? Patients with payment plans want to see what they owe now, how much they paid, and how much is left on their balance.

cneelley

Re: Statements for Payment Plan Patients

Post by cneelley » Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Double click on the payment plan to see how much they have paid on the plan, how much is owed now, and how much they owe and the number of payments left.

To attach payment to payment plan it looks we now have to add a split. The payment can be attached to the plan from the slpit window. Don't know if that is by design.

cneelley

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Wed May 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Now that I am looking at it, I very much like the way it is now, having to attach the payment at the split window. In the past, payments were automatically attached to payment plans, so that we had to uncheck them. this is much better.

cneelley

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 am

Back to the original question, the payments should indeed show in the payment plan section of the statement. Is your date range not inclusive enough?

Also, it still should be automatically attaching them. I'm not quite sure what you mean about having to go into the split. Nothing has changed there. Perhaps you're not noticing the automation because you're not in the guarantor's account. I don't think the automation will be there if you are in the patient account rather than the guarantor account.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Fri May 23, 2008 1:17 pm

I hope I am understanding you Jordan. In the past I have had a problem with payment plans being paid off, then later when a patient comes in and pays for anything, the payment is automatically attached to the payment plan, even if the payment plan is already paid off. So, we have to always uncheck any payments for any procedures forever. We end up with a mess that we have to go back and fix later when we discover what has happened. I was thinking that has changed recently, and that we now have to go to a split to attach a payment to a payment plan. I like that and I hope it stays that way.

Otherwise, I would like it if payments were not automatically attached to payment plans, that we have to check the box. Better yet, a pop up box asking if we want to attach the payment to a plan, and better still, if it stops us or warns us that the plan is already paid off.

cneelley

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Sat May 24, 2008 6:56 am

An example. We had mother come in for work a few weeks ago, and we had previously seen her 2 daughters for ortho, both with payment plans. She was the guarantor for both payment plans. Well, she was paying for her work, and low and behold, the payment got attached to one of the daughter's payment plans. The front desk could have prevented this if she had known to search for a payment plan, in the past, that had been paid off. But why would she do this every time somebody came in and made a payment, for anything. It makes no sense to have payemnts automatically attached to payment plans, and it causes real problems.

cneelley

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Jordan,

About my original question, when printing a statment from the gurantor's account it only has one line for "Payment Plan" showing the total amount of payments but not each payment and their date. The patient's want to see this to say they paid x amount on x date.

Also, all the statements are still very long for us because they include individual lines for each appointment (even those without fees) and every statement sent com log. I think it would be nice to have a button so that only lines with amounts other than zero showed. That would provide a simple statement of just credits and debits.

Thanks,