Custom Reports -> Export & Save As

For users or potential users.
opensource

Custom Reports -> Export & Save As

Post by opensource » Thu May 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Hello Dr. Jordan / Team,

Looks like the 'Export' and 'Save As' feature under 'Custom Reports' have not been functional for a while now. Do we need to do something during the compile process to enable this feature ?.

Quite Frankly speaking, The Custom Report functionality stays un-useable (atleast for my office) without this key feature (especially Export) and we instead land up using the 'User Query' functionality. The unfortunate part there is, that I cannot format the query output :-(.

Wondering if the 'Export' functionality can allow exporting of the Query output..that way, we can get the best of both worlds..formatting in the print-out and data-output in the form of export.

Thoughts / Ideas ???

Cheers,

OpenSource

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Custom Reports -> Export & Save As

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 08, 2008 7:58 pm

This is but one of many obstacles to custom reports. User queries continue to be better. I don't have a good answer. But if you are an advanced user, have you considered a third party reporting tool? For example, MS Access. You could do extensive formatting.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

opensource

Post by opensource » Thu May 08, 2008 8:49 pm

Dr. Jordan,

I came very close to implementing "ireport" and "jasperreport" but somehow did not want to go too far from your vision about RDL. I do not want to invest too much time in creating those 3rd party reports if Open-Dental is going to continue to expand on RDL.

Are you recommending that custom reports should be handled outside of open-dental ?

Cheers,

OpenSource

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 08, 2008 10:44 pm

RDL has tons of potential, but our adaptation of it is not user friendly. By all means, implement your external solution of choice.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

opensource

Post by opensource » Sat May 10, 2008 7:19 am

Hello Dr. Jordan / Team,

Dr. Jordan : Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Team : Has anyone tried other reporting solution. My experience/research has not yielded a simple enough solution where-by certain members (myself) can create/design the report and can be given to the staff to simply running/generate the report without too many complicated steps (technical stuff)

Thoughts / ideas ???

Cheers,

OpenSource