question on example query

For users or potential users.
drtbar

question on example query

Post by drtbar » Fri May 02, 2008 5:47 pm

In the query:

39. List of patients and their addresses who have not been seen since a certain date (the example uses Sept 1, 2005). It will also give you the date of their last visit. Submitted by Jorge Bonilla, DMD
SELECT patient.LName, patient.FName, patient.Address, patient.Address2, patient.City, patient.State, patient.Zip, procedurelog.procdate
FROM patient,procedurelog
WHERE procedurelog.PatNum=patient.PatNum
AND procedurelog.procstatus = '2'
GROUP BY procedurelog.PatNum
HAVING MAX(procdate) < '2005-09-01'

What does

mean, or what does it return?

Jorgebon

Re: question on example query

Post by Jorgebon » Fri May 02, 2008 6:35 pm

Procstatus = '2' means procedures that have been completed. this limits the output of the query to only patients that had previously been seen in the office because only patients who have actually been to the office have completed procedures.
I recommend you try a more refined version of this query:

SET @pos=0;
SELECT @pos:=@pos+1 as numberofpatients, patient.LName,patient.FName,patient.Address,patient.Address2,patient.City,patient.State,patient.Zip, MAX(procedurelog.procdate)
WHERE procedurelog.patnum=patient.patnum
GROUP BY procedurelog.patnum
HAVING MAX(procdate) < '2006-01-01'
ORDER BY patient.address, patient.address2

Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

drtbar

Post by drtbar » Fri May 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Well what I'm trying to get is last name, first name, address, city, state, zip, birthdate, homephone, and last visit which I was able to get with:

SELECT patient.LName, patient.FName, patient.Address, patient.City, patient.State, patient.Zip, patient.Birthdate, patient.hmphone, procedurelog.procdate
WHERE procedurelog.PatNum=patient.PatNum
GROUP BY patient.lname

but it doesn't give me all of my patients. I just had my data converted from my old pms (dentech) so I don't think most of my patients have been seen yet as far as opendent is concerned. I'm able to get the data I want, I just want it for every patient in the database.

Thanks in advance :)

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Fri May 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Maybe you should add another condition in the WHERE section, to check if the patient is still active:

SET @pos=0;
SELECT @pos:=@pos+1 as numberofpatients, patient.LName,patient.FName,patient.Address,patient.Address2,patient.City,patient.State,patient.Zip, MAX(procedurelog.procdate)
WHERE procedurelog.patnum=patient.patnum
AND patient.patstatus = 0
GROUP BY procedurelog.patnum
HAVING MAX(procdate) < '2006-01-01'
ORDER BY patient.address, patient.address2

just a suggestion...

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Fri May 02, 2008 7:29 pm

That's a very good idea, Mifa.
DTbar, If you had the database information imported from a previous practice software, then this query might not be the one you want. In any case, you can delete the line that refers to the completed procedures and see what you get. Since I don't know exactly what information you were able to salvage from the previous software, it would be more of a trial and error process for me to arrive at the query that would work for you. In any case this query relies on procedures performed on patients to determine when they came to the office, so if you didn't get that information transferred to OD, then I don't think this query will work for you.
Jorge Bonilla. DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

drtbar

Post by drtbar » Fri May 02, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm obviously new to the software and even newer to queries :)

I bought the SQL for dummies book and have been reading it here and there, but I stumbled on your example and tried to modify it to make it fit my needs. Will play around some more and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help.