Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 with Perio Chart

For users or potential users.
thatODguy

Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 with Perio Chart

Post by thatODguy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:20 pm

Has anybody or can this be done, have the hygienist Dragon Naturally Speaking with the Perio Chart? All the hygienist needs to do is say the tooth number, then the tooth will be selected. The hygienist will then say the number and Dragon Naturally Speaking inputs the number into the tooth field. I was just wondering if anybody has tried to do this or can this even be done. Thanks in advance.

-thatODguy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 with Perio Chart

Post by jordansparks » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Yes, people have successfully done this.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:53 pm

I exclusivle use Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred in Hygiene. Presently I am doing hygiene myself. It is very simple and intuitive. The only thing you need to do is train it on "plaque", "supperation", "bleeding", and 'calculus". Set your system for numbers and away you go. If your charting for the exam is done fisrt the missing teeth are automatically skipped. In some instances its easier to check three at a time such as for MGJ. It goes much faster. If there is very little or no recession you can mark three at a time also. The only shortcomings of the charting is for furcation. It does differentiate from three or two furcations, facial and lingual, molars or premolars so you have to set up guidelines with your hygientist. I think an entire charting is just under 15 minutes. I have improved my perio diagnostics tremedeously using this system. By the way I use a bluetooth headset (Jabra 250) so there are no wires. Works fine.

hjoesaar

Post by hjoesaar » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 am

I'm interested in incorporating this into my office although I must admit I'm clueless here. Can you help me clarify?
1. I need to purchase "Dragon Speaking 9 Preferred". This is a voice recognition software. I'll set it up for use with Open Dental.
2. I need to purchase a bluetooth headset and receiver that plugs into the computer.

Between the two, that's all I need? Thanks!

thatODguy

Post by thatODguy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:34 am

I am also wondering how to set this up too. Is there any step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:27 am

It's a separate computer program that works in any windows text box. So the instructions would be in the DNS manual. There is the ordinary learning curve for learning new software.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

thatODguy

Post by thatODguy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 am

I was wondering how you work the DNS with the perio chart. Currently, I can only say the numbers and "next" and "back". I would like to add the commands "tooth number 3" and "pocket 2" for example. The only problem I see with doing the custom commands like that is how the perio chart is set up for new charting. Since there is no general place to click to select tooth 3 (you have to go to your current date box and move over to click on the correct tooth number, not just click on the column), I think it is difficult to create custom commands like this. Please let me know if you know how to do this sort of thing with Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5 Preferred with windows XP.

Sincerely,
thatODguy

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 am

Jumping like that does not seem possible without some changes to OD.
Jordan Sparks, DMD